School May Use RFID Chips to Track Students

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
This is so messed up. From laptops that spy on students to RFID in passcards, Facebooks new "feature" that allows your friends to track your movements, and the ability to be tracked by a cell phone unless you remove the battery.

I don't want to be tracked. I never purposely break the law, but the places I go is nobodies damned business!

I read in the paper tonight that a man was cited in Snowflake for CUSSING in public!

Things are getting weird.

cdistasio

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
This is utter bull. As if monitoring some kids inspires liberty, trust and good government. This is a definite step towards total control. Why do bureaucrats think they have to authority to do this?

Time to act against such actions! This is reprehensible and irresponsible. It's like the government owns the kids. It's just keeping inventory on property apparently.

Well, I think everyone should re-read the Declaration of Independence which can be done at www.constituiton.org! Those who mean to be our masters must be taught that we are theirs!

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Pretty soon we'll all have RFID or whatever comes next surgically implanted at birth... this is getting out of hand, why does everybody under the sun need to track everyone else every microsecond of every day.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]cdistasio[/nom]This is utter bull. As if monitoring some kids inspires liberty, trust and good government. This is a definite step towards total control.[/citation]

How about their desires for monitoring everything on flights including your heart rate and body temperature to grab anyone who's sweating or has a rapid heart beat for questioning just in case their a terrorist. Or how they keep the 3d body scans of everyone from those blasted airport scanners so they can identify you anywhere and everywhere using your 3d body image on file.

If Benjamin Franklin were revived somehow he'd be leading a new revolution ffs...

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Last time I checked Children are American citizens. No where in the Constitution does it say that you can ignore the rights of Children. Yet, this happens all the time in public schools.[/citation]

As a middle a school teacher, I promote democracy in my classroom, but I do not practice democracy there. At school kids are there to learn, not "express their rights". Try teaching for one day then tell me about protecting kids rights. Children have for to many right as it is. "I will sue you teacher if you......" And people wonder why our education system in the USA sucks.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]As a middle a school teacher,
Children have for to many right as it is. "I will sue you teacher if you......" And people wonder why our education system in the USA sucks.[/citation]

I hope for the chilren's sake that you don't teach English.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]peopel are runnign aroudn crying freedom this freedom that ,ooohh big brother .. but seriously ,while this application does indeed have potential to be abused by authorities , I think it has great potentialto do good as well. Does any one remember all those cases of women , and teen girls going missing from school grounds , only to be found later a corpse ??? granted the ill purposes of this are on my mind i think i'drather my childhave one that to be the kid that got napped by some demented perv and or serial killer. though i do find the school'sreasonign to be a bit .. paranoid[/citation]
And how exactly this is going to help catch kidnapper if only lead this can give is time when leaving school premises? Ofcourse only in case he don't get rid all of your stuff on place already.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Get em used to it in schools while they are young (notice the classic - for their own protection angle again), then later break it out into "open" society when it will be more readily accepted...

I think NOT !!!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Why on earth do you need a system with hall passes, monitors and even RFID chips? In most European countries, pupils aren't monitored. Still, my region (Flanders) is second only to Singapore and Hong Kong in quality of secondary education, which the US can't say...

It's simple here: if you miss too many classes, you get a few detentions. If that doesn't work, the police comes to have a chat with you and your parents. But tracking when pupils go to a toilet? That's just draconian.

America, nation of liberty but not really liberty. The nation that accepted the Patriot Act and wants to tag children with RFID chips thinks ID cards go against civil liberty?

jchoefer

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
What most people fail to remember is that schools are responsible for the safety of students. Knowing where they are in the building is important in emergency situations (fire, tornado, lockdown, etc.) Not to mention that some states (like New York) require attendance be done on a block or period basis. In New York, low attendance can lead to reduced funding and/or intervention by the state.

As usual, I see a lot of opinions based on misinformation and ignorance. It's an RFID tag in a ID card, not implanted in their skin! You have to pass near an RFID reader to use them, and it's only useful if the RFID tag number is recognized by the system reading it!

This is not big brother. This is school districts trying to cope with (unfunded) State and Federal requirements to make sure kids are in class and to maintain their safety while in the building!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jchoefer[/nom]What most people fail to remember is that schools are responsible for the safety of students. Knowing where they are in the building is important in emergency situations (fire, tornado, lockdown, etc.) Not to mention that some states (like New York) require attendance be done on a block or period basis. In New York, low attendance can lead to reduced funding and/or intervention by the state.As usual, I see a lot of opinions based on misinformation and ignorance. It's an RFID tag in a ID card, not implanted in their skin! You have to pass near an RFID reader to use them, and it's only useful if the RFID tag number is recognized by the system reading it!This is not big brother. This is school districts trying to cope with (unfunded) State and Federal requirements to make sure kids are in class and to maintain their safety while in the building![/citation]

This is a first step in the wrong direction. Once you have RFID in cards, why not implant it in your skin. Its much more simple!! Its a form of indoctrination.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have no issues with RFID chips on a card... I can't say I like it but it has it's qualities.

However, when they start force implanting them into first kids with security brainwashing to eventually have all your banque cards and info in your hand... to have the world under "Control"

Perhaps in 50 years if we didn't blow ourselves up.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]As a middle a school teacher, I promote democracy in my classroom, but I do not practice democracy there. At school kids are there to learn, not "express their rights". Try teaching for one day then tell me about protecting kids rights. Children have for to many right as it is. "I will sue you teacher if you......" And people wonder why our education system in the USA sucks.[/citation]
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]As a middle a school teacher, I promote democracy in my classroom, but I do not practice democracy there. At school kids are there to learn, not "express their rights". Try teaching for one day then tell me about protecting kids rights. Children have for to many right as it is. "I will sue you teacher if you......" And people wonder why our education system in the USA sucks.[/citation]

So explain to me how tracking all the kids with rfid chips will help you teach them anything. The kids will find a way around this just like everything else. If you want new textbooks im for it. If you want metal detectors so you and the kids can feel safe. I am for it. If you want to only serve organic food instead of the junk food. I am for it. This does nothing but waste my tax dollars, and your time it doesnt benifit anyone in the end nor does it teach anyone anything.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]As a middle a school teacher, I promote democracy in my classroom, but I do not practice democracy there. At school kids are there to learn, not "express their rights". [/citation]

A) your rights are there 24/7 and you can express them whenever you feel necessary... unless the teacher's union suddenly became god when I wasnt watching.

B) there's a difference between democracy and a republic. We are a representative republic. A democracy is 3 men and 1 woman voting to see who gets raped... aka mob rule. A representative republic is where the people vote for representatives to go to the seat of power to vote on new laws and to protect their constituents from increasing government.

You know the oath they take then immediately forget?

“I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Anyone think they are doing that now? Or are they trying to find ways around the constitution or through it (usually the commerce clause or just passing huge bills that no one reads)?

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]What's preventing me from leaving my RFID hall pass in my locker while I run out for a beer?[/citation]
they'll ask you why you were at your locker the whole time and when you don't have an answer you'll get a detention or suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.