Scientists Create The First Artificial Leaf

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You're working out how long it'd take to run out of water entirely, completely missing the fact that in the mean time, sea levels would drop, rivers would dry up, millions if not billions of people would die of thirst (millions more people than do today). Whole ecosystems would be massively affected, weather patterns would change, the knock-on effects of even a relatively minor reduction of water (on a global scale) are massive. This could accelerate the process even further. Additionally, the reduced water levels would increase CO2 in the atmosphere, accelerating global warming probably beyond recoverable levels.Just for your info - your calculation is wrong. If there are 1.39 x 10 to the power 18 tonnes of water on the planet, and all 7 billion people use 1,000 tonnes per year, that is an annual usage of 7 x 10 to the power 12. This gives us a figure of just under 200,000 years for ALL the water to be lost, at that rate. (198,571, to be precise).It's a pointless calculation anyway, but hey may aswell do it right.I think we're all pretty much agreed that so long as the device converts the Hydrogen and Oxygen back to water again - it wont pose any threat to our environment, no need to say any more about it IMO :)[/citation]
You worked out a billion with 12 zeros, dummy

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]lemonade4[/nom]We'll never see it come alive because it won't have a continuous stream of income after sales, like fossil fuels.[/citation]
Are you aware of the Bottled Water industry that is more profitable than the oil industry?

[/sarcasm]

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
MIT is going to be blown up by the oil companies and made it look like a terrorist attack. The oil barons will not be completely dead thou, you still need lubricants for all kinds of machines. Oil will never die in our world of mechanics. JMO

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Back to aesthetics for a moment, home generation could be covering your roof in ugly PV panels - or - having a small tree in the garden.

Fake tree, covered with these leaves, water and fuel cell located inside the trunk and a cable running under the lawn to the side of the house.

[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I can't believe the utter fools commenting here. If a small amount of hydrogen is leaked out of the containment vessel, it goes to the upper atmosphere and never comes back. Everytime that happens, you lose water forever. Multiply that small loss times billions of people all using hydrogen in a hydrogen economy and some day YOU WILL RUN OUT OF WATER ON PLANET EARTH.[/citation]

You do realize small asteroids containing water constantly enter our atmosphere. The gains from those small bodies would outpace losses from any small leaks of those leaves. How do you think we got the massive oceans in the first place?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You worked out a billion with 12 zeros, dummy[/citation]

No, I didn't, I used the American version of billion - but since both the population and the water are measured in billion, and we divide one by the other at the end - billion could be any figure in the world.

I'll lay it out simply for you:

1 Billion = 1000000000
Cubic KM of water = 1390000000 (1.39 x 1 billion)
Cubic M of water = 1390000000000000000 (1.39 x 1 billion x 1000 x 1000 x 1000)
7 Billion People = 7000000000 (7 x billion)
Usage of 7 Billion People Per Year = 7000000000000 (7 x billion x 1000)

So to work out the years, we take the Cubic M of water, and divide it by the usage of 7 billion people in a year:

1390000000000000000 (1.39 x 1 billion x 1000 x 1000 x 1000)
divided by
7000000000000 (7 x billion x 1000)

Lets cancel the billion and one of the 100's, which leaves us with:

1.39 x 1000 x 1000
divided by

Which is, surprise surprise : 198,571

As I said, the value of billion, even if I had gotten it wrong - does not affect the calculation :)

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The thing about 3rd world countries is that they are mostly near the equator. Sunlight would be strong and plentiful enough to power homes if you can harness it properly. The problem for us up north, such as Canada, is that there is less sunlight and we use a lot of electricity. It would take a lot of solar panels to sustain our way of life.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Firstly - if this device was used on a massive scale and some kind of leak did occur, due to mechanical failure, or someone accidentally dropping a bottle on it, etc etc etc the quantity would massively exceed 100 million gallons lost. It would be in the billions.[/citation]
Yeah, if everything everywhere went wrong simultaneously. In which case, we were probably struck by an asteroid that increased the planet's temp to 1000C, or if the H2 leak was massive enough odds are it'd hit an ignition source anyway. Again, this whole "ZOMG WE'RE LOSING WATER!!! RUN!!!!!" concern is completely idiotic, the water isn't going anywhere. The planet is literally COVERED in life that disassociates water using sunlight and there's still an awful lot of water around that so it isn't being lost to some invisible boogey-man.

[citation]Secondly - Your calculation is totally flawed. You're working out how long it'd take to RUN OUT of water entirely, completely missing the fact that in the mean time, sea levels would drop, rivers would dry up, millions of people would die of thirst (millions more people than do today). Whole ecosystems would be massively affected, weather patterns would change, the knock-on effects of even a relatively minor reduction of water (on a global scale) are massive.[/citation]
You are correct, obviously if we start losing water to some magic wizard there will be changes to the planet as the planet's water coverage decreases. However, that wasn't my point, the point was the merely illustrate there's a TON of water when compared to pretty much any other resource we use on a daily basis. We have far more pressing supply concerns over rare earths metal, 'normal' metals, oil, top soil erosion, phosphorous, et al.

[citation]Finally - oil isn't what we live off. Running out of oil does not threaten our lives directly, it threatens it indirectly in the form of the potential for war. Water, on the other hand, IS what we live off, so running out of that is NECESSARILY disastrous.All of the above being said, I do recognise that if this system can prove itself to minimise the risk of inefficiency - ie all the hydrogen and oxygen are ALWAYS converted back to water, it can serve a valuable purpose[/citation]
Loss of oil does indeed affect your life directly and not just because someone without oil will shoot you to steal your half-empty gas can. We don't just burn oil to make our cars go fast. We use it to drive the vehicles that move your food, we use it to drive the vehicles that plant, tend to and harvest your food. We use it to make fertilizers (granted a weak argument because we can use any methane source to drive it). We use it to make chemical feedstocks and solvents for other processes, such as pharmaceuticals, that lives definitely do depend on. I'm sure we could figure out how to get by if suddenly all the world's oil instantly vanished to mischievous elves, but the loss of oil will obviously make other energy sources, such as NG, cost more.

If food cost goes up, starvation for a significant chunk of the planet becomes a very real and very sudden concern (heck, the minor increase in food cost due to biofuel production has caused some serious havoc amongst the poorest people in the world). It's certainly more pressing than some crazy fear that this device is somehow going to transport all of our water to an alternate dimension where cats chase dogs, up becomes left and blue becomes seven after a few million years of usage.

I'll tell ya what, I'll make you a deal. If these devices cause us to lose water to the point where it damages the planet, I will reincarnate myself 10 million years in the future and build a device that recaptures all the lost water from where ever it went and returns it to the planet using 3 paper clips, a rubber band, a stick of that really hard gum that comes with baseball cards and 2 rhesus monkeys. The odds of me accomplishing the above is certainly higher than the odds this device will in anyway what-so-ever have a significant, if even detectable, effect on the world's water supply.

This concern that these leaves would even have the potential to destroy the world's water supply is just so incredibly far off it's not even wrong.

G

Sounds quite outrageous to me. I'm a full-professor in Engineering at a private institution for higher learning in Mexico City and currently working on a research paper related to Solar Energy. Doing the modelling, as well as the required math, I figured out a theoretical daily solar irradiance curve which shows that the raw incoming solar energy at ground level adds up to approximately 6000 watt-hour per square meter per day. Further on, I compared these results with the actual measurements taken from various meteorological stations, as well as with empical and statistical data and found a good fit. So this 6000 watt-hour energy daily figure for each square meter is the bottom line; that's what the Sun gives - take it or leave it. This means that if the energy conversion process is 100% efficient and this "artificial leaf" device has a collecting area of one square meter, a 250 watt average power demand could be sustained during a 24-hour day. However, the article doesn´t offer any details whatsoever regarding the device's size, the conversion efficiency or the energy necessities in a "developing country dwelling". All this, in turn. leads me to consider this claim as quite dubious. Jerry N. Reider

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
maestintaolius:

Yes, our lives are directly threatened by the shortage of oil. We literally eat oil. Without it, we will all starve.

Pesticides are petroleum based, fertilizers are petroleum based. Tractors run on petroleum based fuel, as do the trucks that transport food. Lubricants and coatings are petroleum based and both are NECESSARY for all machines to function. Solvents are petroleum based and they are necessary in manufacturing processes. The machines that plant, harvest, and transport our food must be made somewhere somehow.

Without machines, we can't plant and harvest and take to market our food. Without fertilizers and pesticides we lose productivity and there is no longer enough farmland on the planet to grow enough food the old fashioned way to feed all the people.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]http://www.scientificamerican.com/ [...] tmospheresJust to be clear - by doing this I'm not agreeing with all of TA152H comments, but it's fairly common knowledge in the scientific community that Hydrogen is lost from the Earths atmosphere.[/citation]

Thank you. I'm curious as to what percentage of the total de-bonded hydrogen is lost and which returns to earth?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]maestintaolius:Yes, our lives are directly threatened by the shortage of oil. We literally eat oil. Without it, we will all starve. Pesticides are petroleum based, fertilizers are petroleum based. Tractors run on petroleum based fuel, as do the trucks that transport food. Lubricants and coatings are petroleum based and both are NECESSARY for all machines to function. Solvents are petroleum based and they are necessary in manufacturing processes. The machines that plant, harvest, and transport our food must be made somewhere somehow.Without machines, we can't plant and harvest and take to market our food. Without fertilizers and pesticides we lose productivity and there is no longer enough farmland on the planet to grow enough food the old fashioned way to feed all the people.[/citation]
Well, my comment isn't meant to convey that I believe that once we run out of oil we'll all die. Obviously, as prices go up, we will find new ways to do things, just like we've always done before. It'll likely be rough on the poorest people in the world, but changes usually are. There are plenty of alternatives available (I'm not talking organic farming, I don't consider that a solution), we just don't use them because oil is cheaper. As oil gets more and more expensive to produce, we'll switch to new technologies (or existing old ones that cost more) and we'll survive.

My issue was more that people were worrying about an imagined threat of magically disappearing water, that would take millions, if not billions, of years to show any noticeable effect as their reasoning to be against an artificial leaf. Oil depletion, by comparison, will probably only take a few hundred which is not even a thousandth of a blink of an eye of a hummingbird on meth in timescale comparison.

As an aside, I apologize for borking the citations up and creating an unintentional wall of text.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Yeah, if everything everywhere went wrong simultaneously. In which case, we were probably struck by an asteroid that increased the planet's temp to 1000C, or if the H2 leak was massive enough odds are it'd hit an ignition source anyway. Again, this whole "ZOMG WE'RE LOSING WATER!!! RUN!!!!!" concern is completely idiotic, the water isn't going anywhere. The planet is literally COVERED in life that disassociates water using sunlight and there's still an awful lot of water around that so it isn't being lost to some invisible boogey-man.[/citation]

Firstly - everything wouldn't have to go wrong simultaneously for this to occur. Just a small portion. For example, an earthquake like the one which hit japan.
Secondly - if you read my comments you'll hopefully see I've not said anything remotely resembling a claim we're going to run out of water.
Thirdly - 'disassociating' water and converting water to hydrogen and oxygen are not the same thing. Hydrogen, being lighter, is more prone to escaping. What other examples do you have of things which 'cover' the earth which convert water to hydrogen?

[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]You are correct, obviously if we start losing water to some magic wizard there will be changes to the planet as the planet's water coverage decreases. However, that wasn't my point, the point was the merely illustrate there's a TON of water when compared to pretty much any other resource we use on a daily basis. We have far more pressing supply concerns over rare earths metal, 'normal' metals, oil, top soil erosion, phosphorous, et al.[/citation]

If I'm right, why are you arguing? You can't contradict me by arguing against things I never said. I never said that we have more oil than water, for example. I simply said that YOUR calculation working out how long it would take for water to run out entirely was the wrong calculation to make to prove your point. And it is. That being said, water and oxygen are pretty much the only things we need to live. There is far more oxygen in the world than water. In fact. the Earth is made up of a relatively low percentage of water. Everything else, such as oil, is very much replaceable.

[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom
Loss of oil does indeed affect your life directly and not just because someone without oil will shoot you to steal your half-empty gas can. We don't just burn oil to make our cars go fast. We use it to drive the vehicles that move your food, we use it to drive the vehicles that plant, tend to and harvest your food. We use it to make fertilizers (granted a weak argument because we can use any methane source to drive it). We use it to make chemical feedstocks and solvents for other processes, such as pharmaceuticals, that lives definitely do depend on. I'm sure we could figure out how to get by if suddenly all the world's oil instantly vanished to mischievous elves, but the loss of oil will obviously make other energy sources, such as NG, cost more. If food cost goes up, starvation for a significant chunk of the planet becomes a very real and very sudden concern (heck, the minor increase in food cost due to biofuel production has caused some serious havoc amongst the poorest people in the world). It's certainly more pressing than some crazy fear that this device is somehow going to transport all of our water to an alternate dimension where cats chase dogs, up becomes left and blue becomes seven after a few million years of usage.I'll tell ya what, I'll make you a deal. If these devices cause us to lose water to the point where it damages the planet, I will reincarnate myself 10 million years in the future and build a device that recaptures all the lost water from where ever it went and returns it to the planet using 3 paper clips, a rubber band, a stick of that really hard gum that comes with baseball cards and 2 rhesus monkeys. The odds of me accomplishing the above is certainly higher than the odds this device will in anyway what-so-ever have a significant, if even detectable, effect on the world's water supply.This concern that these leaves would even have the potential to destroy the world's water supply is just so incredibly far off it's not even wrong.[/citation]

This whole paragraph is ironically exactly the doomsday style crap you criticise other people for saying (hopefully you realise I’m not included in that). Lets take ur points step by step:

1 – Vehicles to drive, vehicles to plant & harvest food – There are electric versions available even now, and there will MOST definitely be when the oil runs out, at which point all the current machinery wont work anyway so would have had to be replaced.
2 – Fertilisers – so many different options for alternatives.
3 – Solvents – there are organic solvents
4 – Feedstock – biomaterials can be substituted
5 – ‘if we suddenly lost all the world’s oil’ – we wont suddenly lose it, just like nobody claimed we would suddenly lose water. We have time and knowledge to prepare, and are doing.
6 – ‘loss of oil will obviously make other energy sources, such as NG, cost more’ – actually, it probably wont. Due to the fact that there is a huge push towards renewable energy right now, and alternatives to oil – we’ll probably be LESS NG dependant, not more.
7 – ‘heck, the minor increase in food cost due to biofuel production has caused some serious havoc amongst the poorest people in the world’ – that’s because the process isn’t mainstream and worldwide yet. It will be by the time the oil runs out. I ask you what problems lack of water has caused for the poorest people in the world, even now?
8 – ‘I will build a device that recaptures all the lost water’ – No, you won’t. It’s not even theoretically possible.
9 – ‘The odds of me accomplishing the above is certainly higher than the odds this device will in anyway what-so-ever have a significant, if even detectable, effect on the world's water supply’ – because what you claim is impossible, the odds are in fact NOT higher than this device affecting worlds water supply, so your statement is wrong. Mainly due to the fact that it will never become mainstream (and not because of the science we are debating). But again, read all of my comments, I’ve not once said this device is likely to cause a detectable effect on the worlds water.
10 – ‘This concern that these leaves would even have the potential to destroy the world's water supply is just so incredibly far off it's not even wrong’ – It’s VERY basic and simple logic my friend. What is being stated is that IF there is a device which uses water with the POTENTIAL to malfunction when converting the hydrogen and oxygen back to water, and given that hydrogen in the atmosphere is lost to space, that logically and NECESSARILY means that the water level will reduce. The rate at which it does and the significance of such a loss are not any points which are being made. But it’s a logical fact.

The bottom line is that all your mumblings on about oil, are in fact, completely irrelevant and completely off-topic. That being said, they're also wrong because for every 'problem' you've put forward, there is ALREADY an existing solution. There is NOT an alternative to using hydrogen for water.

Status
Not open for further replies.