Scientists Have Created a Working Biofuel Battery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Dude, that sucker was Nuclear-powered (BTTF reference and 6M$ reference, all in one! Geek Joy!)"

Actually, that sucker was electrical. Doc Brown only needed the nuclear reaction to produce the 1.21 gigawatts he needed :)

---
"The Matrix idea about humans as batteries is very stupid. Such battery would be highly inefficient. "

A power plant with a bicycle driving an alternator might not be a great way to power a whole lot-- but if you had a billion bicycles, with six billion people 'taking turns', I think you'd do quite alright ... I'm coming up with something in the neighborhood of 50-100x the power of the Hoover Dam and the five power plants at Niagara Falls combined...

The Hoover Dam produces 4 billion KWh per year.

1 bicycle = atleast 50 watts per hour on average [including downtime for repairs and maintenance], times 24 hours times 365 days equals 438 KWh.

So a billion bikes gets you to almost 110x of the Hoover Dam

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]One accidental short-circuit and it will cause a hypoglycemic shock, potentially killing you.[/citation]
Or multiple orgasms. I know which one I'd want.

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Whats next a pill that a human can take that can make a human not need to breathe, or eat, and can stay alive forever because of this

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Actually, this is a major breakthrough. It should be possible to create some kind of artificial heart in my opinion. Some of the sugars etc... in the blood flowing into it would power the device, which the device in turn would circulate the blood through the body. People with heart defects could get a synthetic one. Many other possibilities too.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]wishmaster12[/nom]Whats next a pill that a human can take that can make a human not need to breathe, or eat, and can stay alive forever because of this[/citation]

I don't know but if you find out let me know.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If you can insert a device that can break down sugars in our blood--doesn't that mean no more diabetes medication? Doesn't that mean no more Type [insert number for adults] diabetics in the first place if they can prevent their blood sugar from going too high?

But to take this further...If we can break down the sugar in our blood (to generate power), couldn't we just use up extra blood sugar and effectively eliminate the weight gain due to overeating? Now all we need is something that breaks down cholesterol and nobody will be overweight or have heart attacks. Obviously the blood sugar management is years away, but I plan on being plenty alive in 2040 and I don't see any reason it can't be around then.

kalidasa

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Sorry, but you are fooling yourself if you believe that biochem companies are interested in saving anyone money for a new tech. I have a feeling they may introduce a version of this that either will require an (eventual, though long lasting replacement) or will have a massive up front cost for the use of a new tech that won't need replacing. I could even see a requirement for a pill or a shot needing to be administered periodically introducing a battery-recharging enzyme or something so that they keep users on the financial hook. At least the last speculation would help to avoid surgery, but I will be holding my breath until the end of time if I wait around for a cure to disease instead of just a treatment, which is what I see the implementations above as being.

Of course, that's if it ever shows up at all. Still waiting on tires that never need replacing.

gionder

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Just to let you guys know... i actually have filed a patent for a magnetic power generator that doest not require fuel of any kind and needs no maintenance other than lubricant for the torque converter.

If interested, ask for PayPal account for donations. And hey! This is not actually a spam, since i can tell the article was about human enzymes doing a fuel cell's job: generating electricity!

G

matrix batteries- where does the energy required to grow food for the humans come from? the humans get some sort of paste or nutrient solution right? if there is enough energy like scorched sunlight to grow the nutrient solution, then why not harvest it directly, instead of this extra work conversion to power through humans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS