Scientists Invent Single Lens For 3D Microscopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
If they want to mass produce it, they should sell their first one as the only sing 3D lens in the world and spend the money to build more factories.

Of course they wouldn't listen to my idea, It's just stupid lol.

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
this lens is slightly not symmetric
lol, are all these stories translated or something? Or is the the internet speak for asymmetric.. funny no less.
And if the pictured lens is the size of a fingernail... WHO GAVE THE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR PROTOTYPE TO A BABY!?!

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]is the pic shown of the real lens or just a image?[/citation]
Apparently it's just an image... it's either the size of a fingernail, or the size of your palm. Non-matching information FTW.

G

the lens is actually at the center of the thing, the faceted thing, the rest of it is just the blank, cause you need something to hold onto especially if you need to be doing that precision of machining, the lens would be cut away from the blank when ready

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Apparently it's just an image... it's either the size of a fingernail, or the size of your palm. Non-matching information FTW.[/citation]

Its the size of his brain! bwahahaha

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I will assume the photo shown is a large scale example , how does this lens work opticly? I assume the two optical elements in the lens allow depth perseptive on the object viewed.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I'm sure of those 9 different views, not all will be useful.
I think a good 3 or 4 viewing angle combinations will be possible with this lens, but it would eg not benefit to have a bottom-top stereoscopic view, as our eyes only see 3D horizontally.

G

The range over which the lens is useful is a function of the distance between the viewing elements. This is why tank commanders have these funky periscopes which separate the eyes at the top of the 'stalk' to about a foot apart, then they can discern depth much better at far greater distances than they could unaided.

A lens like this will be useful to about an inch, maybe three. So don't expect uni-lens 3d digital cameras to be coming out any time soon, unless it's for (as the post suggests) microsocopy ;-) . It *is* pretty cool though.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
"Objects viewed through the lens can be seen from nine different angles."

Could this be the tech to film holographic movies? We'll then need holographic projectors :) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.