Scientists Use Quake 2 Engine to Study Brains

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Not that cool!
This mouse is just running in circles.
And how do they study the brain activity of the mouse? Do they need its head to be stuck in an helmet to maintain wires/probes plugged into its brain? A bit cruel in my opinion, even for a mouse.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]djab[/nom]Not that cool!This mouse is just running in circles.And how do they study the brain activity of the mouse? Do they need its head to be stuck in an helmet to maintain wires/probes plugged into its brain? A bit cruel in my opinion, even for a mouse.[/citation]
You dont need probes stuck inside to measure brain waves...

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thealtkey[/nom]Yet again, it has been demonstrated that a mouse is better than a gamepad for playing first-person shooters. :-D[/citation]

Lame, but true :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Good idea, bad implementation!
A simple, light, transparent sphere, with the mouse inside it 'running freely', the sphere held in place just the same, and the mouse surrounded by very high definition screens in x4, x6 or even x8 configuration, maybe even the curbed display, and the mouse would have freedom of head movement, and a more natural way to run in circles.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
On second thought, I'm offering volounteer to test the setup I just explained. Just a bigger sphere on which to roll on, and cinema-like screens.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Oh, now I get it. They were using this setup, with the head firmly held in place and other mice stuff, so that it would not arouse jealousy among human peers.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]thealtkey[/nom]Yet again, it has been demonstrated that a mouse is better than a gamepad for playing first-person shooters. :-D[/citation]

[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]Lame, but true[/citation]

Not at all lame. In fact it is one of the best jokes in this comment session, even better than the mice lan party, or the Peta joke 'THES POEPLE NEEED 2 BE SHOT!!11!'. All three of them deserver the ROTFL status. I congratulate Tom's contributors for their ideas. You guys are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.