Scientists Worry Over Super-Smart AI

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Cache[/nom]I always find it amusing that the concept of a true breakout AI somehow will always turn against the humans that created it. There is always the chance that AI will ultimately look at us with the eyerolls we gave our parents when we were teens. Ultimately, anything that is 'alive' in a technical sense must want something. As human beings, we want food, love, shelter, companionship, the ability to mate, to raise children, etc. We make things happen precisely because we need things.What would a machine want, and what could it really do to achieve those goals? Without mobility and the capability to achieve complex tasks--the first of which would have to be securing power so that it would not die--it would simply wither and eventually die out, incapable of realizing any goal save making its existence known.[/citation]

*claps* i completely agree dude, who's to say the first ai Wont just ponder around wondering why it exist and then come to the conclussion it exsist fo the sake of exsisting aned there for has no useful purpose , thus wil be more likely to just shoot it's self as opposed to harming huamns who actualy have goals.

or perhaps it will be more liek data and try tomake it's elf more human and that be it's only real goal in it's life.

personally i think teh old AI conqueror thing is just a bit to damn preachy , it's bassiclly shoving religon in people's face , by reflecting peopels fears that we are trying to replace god , into a story that entertains. hoenstly youa sk me , i think teh first Ai wil most liekly to try to get it's self highas one of it's first acts !

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cykro[/nom]Study some computer science instead of saying this is ridiculous.We're not talking a conventional COMPUTER PROGRAM, they don't learn. We're talking ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, probably in the form of a NEURAL NETWORK, specifically designed to learn.Simply put:Imagine a computer emulating all the interconnections of a human brain. It would be able to think and learn just like we do. Simple fact.Of course, it would probably need quite some input before it could give sensible output, just like humans do during embryo/child states But it would learn, and it would eventually be as intelligent as us.We can't produce computers of this scale yet, but it's not at all ridiculous.[/citation]

qutie ridiculous actually , NO exsiting hard drive has the mental capacity for memory that the human brain has , granted you can't always acess your "data" but the human mind literally stores EVERY thing you see smell , hear , touch or learn in life, no single hard drive much less ram can compete with that capacity ,, in curent science the huamnb rain is beleived to have a memory capacity well over the equivilant of 5,000,000 tetra byte drives possible even much more than that figure. so sure a comptuer may learn to think like us act like us , but beyond that it will be sorely lacking in what it can learn and store , not to mention it would liekly access it's long term memory (aka data that is stored to its hard drive) much slower than the slowest human does .

cykro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
demonhorde665:
I was merely pointing out that the concept of AI is not at all ridiculous. Alot of people seem to think that our brain is somehow magical, that "emotions" are made of fairydust, and so on.
There's nothing magical about it.
Given the right hardware, we have the knowledge to "program" an AI.

Meaning: I completely agree with you, we can't build it today and it is very unlikely that we will see an AI anytime soon.
Like I said, "We can't produce computers of this scale yet, but it's not at all ridiculous."
Just look at the progress these last 30 years.
Perhaps with a breakthrough in quantum computers and innovative storage architecture we could see it in our lifetime...
But I really doubt it.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I agree,The concept is not rediculous,It's fascinating!
But they are not even close.
Armageddon from Terminator robots,I doubt it.
We have come close in the past,Computer simulated warfare which the other side thought was real and almost caused World War III!
Overpopulation along with wide use of robotics to replace human workforce,Now there lies a problem. I can't see everyone being a service technician,So what jobs will there be if machines do all the tediuos work?

G

Great Terminator idea's, but real AI is nothing for the coming 100 years!
The most a computer can become in 100 years, is a very advanced program, that responds in a pre-programmed pattern, or or a random designed pattern within certain limits.

Dreams about Terminator's Skynet intelligence about the future, is like the dreams of people in the '50's about living in space, and dreams from the '80's how we all shall be "beamed up" by Mr Spock, and how Captain Piquard will find another race, by pressing those buttons with gigantic industrial confirmation lightbulbs from the '80's.

G

People sometimes think that robots will turn against us like in the Terminator movies but we often do not think about the other possible ways robots could be bad. For example, robots could start doing all the work people do and millions of people would lose their jobs and lose their lives. Here is something else to think about to, if such a thing happened, and robots were at a high enough level of intelligence, they could take command and in the caos we would not be able to do much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.