Scrabulous Pulled, Hackers Target Offical Online Scrabble

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think Hasbro should have offered to buy scrabulous from the developers first and said either take our offer or we'll sue you. As the developer I would have sold and been done with it. I mean, Hasbro spent more programming it themselves. They could have taken that money and added some to it and kept everyone happy - including the developers that worked so hard to build it.

But with that said, the developers must have realized the game was copyrighted. So really it's their fault. But Hasbro did the wrong PR thing and instead made themselves look like bad guys and upset 600k scrable users. Bad move Hasbro, should have just bought the game from the developers!

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hmmm... so the developer should have rewarded someone who stole their intellectual property by buying their product? That sounds a bit off... kinda like if I break into your house and take your computer, tweak the software so it runs better, then say you really should buy it off me since I did such a good job (and if I refuse to sell it back, then you press charges for theft). Maybe Apple should have bought Psystar instead of suing them too.

Its great that they made a fan base of 600k users of scrabulous user (not scrabble users), but that is 600k people where the majority won't buy the original product. (Again, Psystar said they too were helping out Apple - why is it so few have sympathy for them or buy into the claim that they were helping out Apple sales by pirating their IP?)

I hate to say it, but maybe Hasbro should have taken the RIAA approach and gone after all the users at triple the game cost plus legal fees to make up for lost earnings.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Here's the thing, Juice, they DID confront the developers beforehand and offered to buy it/work with them. Don't let those kids paint the picture for Hasbro because honestly they had their chance and now they're reaping the consequences for their poor choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.