Solved! Screen problem Dell Latitude E5440

Aug 31, 2021
Hello,
I own a Dell Latitude E5440.
When booting up, the windows 10 logo shows up fine but when reaching the login screen the screen turns to black. It only happens with the laptop screen as connecting a second monitor works fine, and when doing this the laptop only detects the second monitor, not the main screen.
I've checked the drivers and reinstalled them, and the only thing that seems to work is uninstalling the graphic card, but when I reach the login screen, it updates the graphic card and the screen turns to black again.
Also, the track pad malfunctions, the buttons work but it doesn't detect movement. I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows 10's reccent updates and nothing works.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
This sounds like a driver issue. However, lets confirm a couple things.

First, does toggling the display output switch cause the behavior to change (internal display only, internal and external display, and external only)?

Also, if you boot the system with a Live Linux distro (usually via a thumb drive and something link Mint or Ubuntu), do the displays work properly?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This sounds like a driver issue. However, lets confirm a couple things.

First, does toggling the display output switch cause the behavior to change (internal display only, internal and external display, and external only)?

Also, if you boot the system with a Live Linux distro (usually via a thumb drive and something link Mint or Ubuntu), do the displays work properly?

Solution
Aug 31, 2021
Thanks very much
After a lot of tests I´m gonna let it go. I´ve tested an Ubuntu live usb with the same problems, probably a hardware failure.... Deselecting main drivers it works. Enough by now.