Seeking laptop w/ decent performance and good audio

elibertylewis

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I've had a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6075 for five to six years and was very, very happy with it. My favorite parts about it were the excellent harman/kardon speakers and the comfortably bulky build. When it started to malfunction about six months ago, I bought a L55-C5340 and hated it. It was flimsy, uncomfortable to use, and the lack of bass in the speakers made me cry. I eventually replaced the hard drive and RAM in my old Satellite and continued to use it until last week, when the motherboard gave out.

After a brief affair with a refurbished Satellite A665-S6094 that crashed and refused to boot 24 hours after I received it, I suppose I am now looking for a new laptop.

I would be fine with an older model if I can have the specifications I want. I'll use the laptop for writing, web surfing, watching movies, and digital painting, but good speakers are an absolute must, and I really don't want to have to carry external speakers around. The AMD processor on the A665D seemed a little slow for my purposes, so a quad-core Intel would be an improvement. Otherwise, I'd like a decent display and graphics card, nothing too fancy, and I'd rather not have one of the weird new tablet/laptop combo deals. My budget is somewhere around $600. A decent-sized hard drive (500GB to 1TB) would be welcome.

Is there anything close to what I want available? Please don't tell me there's no hope. :p

elibertylewis

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
That doesn't look very highly rated for durability, especially with the screen hinges...but thank you for your suggestion! It looks at least somewhat close to what I'm looking for.