Question self powered USB hub would help my laptop's performance?

Feb 17, 2019
Hello Everybody!
I am going to buy a self powered usb hub, because my laptop gets warm very often. So it should reduce the power used by usb ports, helping to cool the cpu.
I am not an expert in the subject, but i guess if i use a lot high consume usb devices it will work.
The devices are: fan, USB sound card, external hdd, cooler, etc.
Regards
Pablo

A laptop really isn't meant to run all that extra stuff. While I get your idea and the purpose of what you want to try, I don't think it will give you the results you desire.

I would really suggest running less, keeping less attached to, the computer unless it is really needed. Either that, or switch to a desktop, which is better equipped for having so much connected.

Rooky_Ghost

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
Since you have a fan and a cooler running off the laptop, I assume you're in a hot environment, and that the heat is an issue, regardless of the mAh your devices may draw. A soundcard shouldn't be much of an issue, and the eHDD wouldn't be useful if you got a self-powered hub. If the laptop is on a fixed space, like an office or a desk at home, you may consider a cheap phone charger to power the fan and the cooler, since they usually only use the power lines of the USB connector.

Feb 17, 2019
A laptop really isn't meant to run all that extra stuff. While I get your idea and the purpose of what you want to try, I don't think it will give you the results you desire.

I would really suggest running less, keeping less attached to, the computer unless it is really needed. Either that, or switch to a desktop, which is better equipped for having so much connected.

Hi webworkings, thanks for your reply. The desktop solution is not an option because i often need the portability. My main concern is to know if using less power through the USB ports will help to cool my laptop, which turns off during day in summer. Devices, with the fan exception, are needed, the cooler maybe also an exception if i use a phone charger as Rooky_Ghost said.

Since you have a fan and a cooler running off the laptop, I assume you're in a hot environment, and that the heat is an issue, regardless of the mAh your devices may draw. A soundcard shouldn't be much of an issue, and the eHDD wouldn't be useful if you got a self-powered hub. If the laptop is on a fixed space, like an office or a desk at home, you may consider a cheap phone charger to power the fan and the cooler, since they usually only use the power lines of the USB connector.

Hi Rooky_Ghost, thanks for your reply. You are right in that it is in a hot environment (on summer like 30° Celsius). The phone charger option wouldn't be the same as the self powered USB hub?. With the hub i could save %100 of the power used by the devices (i guess). I didn't know that eHDDs can not work with self powered USB hubs!

So, saving USB power won't help the laptop to cool down? (via USB hub). And another question would be: Disconnecting all devices will help because of the lower power consumption?

Regards