Senate Passes Cell Phone Jamming in Prison Bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"The fact that they got them in the first place seems like a bigger problem. What's stopping them from getting small pistols? "

Because half the time it's the guards that are bringing them in... they don't want the prisoners to have guns they could use against them.

G

I thought that it only happens here in Brazil.. Well, here the frequency jammers were installed in some prisons, but now they are outdated and have very limited action. With new technologies emerging the prisoners keep talking. So I think the best way still is to do a good inspection of visitors.

G

r0x0r: Either that guy is the real-life McGuyver, or you're one gullible fool for believing that story... But hey, you provided a link to a story, so it must be true...

Moreover, what role does this guy even play in the smuggling? Why wouldn't his "associates" have just cut him out of the business altogether, since he does nothing but call people?

He's in prison, so he can't do any of the following:

Manufacture
Traffic
Deal
Kill anyone who runs off with product or money
Launder Money

But... He can make a bunch of phone calls on a modified electric razor... Yeah, that story couldn't possibly be bullshit...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Yeah, because movie goers are just like fucking criminals. No private person or entity, strike that; no one(except for the FCC) has any right to interfere with radio frequencies in the U.S. and cellular phones have to be capable of dialing 911 and making other emergency calls. If any place or person were to interfere with the operation of a cellular phone, that business or person would be in very serious trouble.On another note, the "jamming" idea is utter bullshit. I am not saying that I disagree with the idea, as no prisoner should have access to a mobile phone. What I am saying is that those devices(cellular jammers) can be easily thwarted. If the prison uses a jamming device that only blocks certain frequencies, a multi-band phone might find a frequency that works. 3G data devices(those that allow voice and data at the same time) might still operate on the data side while the voice side is blocked, which makes this "all for not".Also, chances are the devices will not cover all areas of the prison that prisoners have access to, so they will simply take their phones to a place that is not blocked and make their calls. If a prisoner really wants to make a call, they could take a BlackBerry, gain access to the engineering screen, and see if he or she can find a tower that works on a frequency not being blocked.Chances are, since this is the legislators playing a hand in this, something will be missed or screwed up. Since most politicians know nothing about electronics, they will put so many restrictions that it will cause more harm than good.[/citation]
I commonly lose phone service in my area, and it worries me. I live around many retired couples, and what happens when someone has a heart attack and no can call 911? It's quite disturbing.
I also believe we should NOT jam ANY frequency.
And yes, politicians are idiots.

We need to actually do something about exactly how they get communnication devices in the firt place.

audiosyncracy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]IBM_rational_bullshitter[/nom]r0x0r: Either that guy is the real-life McGuyver, or you're one gullible fool for believing that story... But hey, you provided a link to a story, so it must be true...Moreover, what role does this guy even play in the smuggling? Why wouldn't his "associates" have just cut him out of the business altogether, since he does nothing but call people?He's in prison, so he can't do any of the following:ManufactureTrafficDealKill anyone who runs off with product or moneyLaunder MoneyBut... He can make a bunch of phone calls on a modified electric razor... Yeah, that story couldn't possibly be bullshit...[/citation]
Mob bosses usually AREN'T part of or involved directly with the process of drug smuggling/selling. They usually provide the capital that makes the deals. So if he is providing capital for people in his gang, he can be anywhere in the world, so long as the right people get the money. His people handle stuff on the outside, he provides the money, everyones happy. And sure, people can double cross him, but that's a risk you take even if you are on the outside. At least if they double cross him they can't kill him. So he's probably safer in prison.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]IBM_rational_bullshitter[/nom]He can make a bunch of phone calls on a modified electric razor... Yeah, that story couldn't possibly be bullshit...[/citation]

"with the phone he powered using an adapted electric razor..."

Go look at what inmates in prison are capable of making with only the most mundane of items.

Another 2 examples for you:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/1457002/Drug-lag-used-hidden-mobile-to-run-empire.html

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=681660

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]MrBradley[/nom]Shoving a phone up your ass has got to hurt.[/citation]

I bet you don't find any of the Blackberry/iPhone/Sidekick varieties in prison. I have a feeling they are all the slim-line, micro phones.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
@anamaniac

You need to visit those retired couples in your neighborhood and have them teach you the basics of landline calling. Especially if they have rotary phones.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Cell phones need power to operate, they could just disable or remove power outlets. Why do they have power outlets in the first place?

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Instead of using activing jamming use passive jamming, IE make it impossible fore the radio waves to transmit through the walls.

My office building suffers from this problem because of all the concrete. Copper mesh has the same effect.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Convicted criminals have no rights (they implicitly gave them up when they violated others' rights in their crimes). If a jailbird is caught using a cell phone, stick his head in a bucket to catch the mess and pull the trigger. GAME OVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.