Sensor Can Detect Molecules Of Explosives

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Doesn't matter if it was so good they could get rid of all the scanners, Fraulein Janet Napolitano (Seig Heil) will still have her gestapo TSA goons strip searching Americans, we are the enemy of the Obama regime, not the terrorists.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Doesn't matter if it was so good they could get rid of all the scanners, Fraulein Janet Napolitano (Seig Heil) will still have her gestapo TSA goons strip searching Americans, we are the enemy of the Obama regime, not the terrorists.[/citation]
I'd recommend you seek professional counseling as soon as possible.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I get the breakthrough, detecting a single molecule of a nitro-aromatic explosive. but the fact is, the more powerful (RDX/C4, nitroglycerin) or readily available (ammonium nitrate/fertilizer) are non-aromatic/salts. IMO mass spec (coupled with UV-vis) or even IR spec is already widely used and more suited for detection of explosives. Relying solely on the detection of one molecule and its decomposition products runs the high risk of dealing with a high percentage of false positives. This tech may be more suited for detecting landmines rather than securing mass transport

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Can we get rid of the Scanners now?[/citation]
Not really. Unless that 10-inches knife (or 1-inch toenail clipper) has been in contact with explosives, it won't be detected by that sensor.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Doesn't matter if it was so good they could get rid of all the scanners, Fraulein Janet Napolitano (Seig Heil) will still have her gestapo TSA goons strip searching Americans, we are the enemy of the Obama regime, not the terrorists.[/citation]
Holy hell, Godwin's Law before the discussion can even start.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
It’s nice to see nanotechnology being used in real life applications.
I hope to see this device being used for detecting booms and removing land mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.