Serious lag, can't figure out why...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I tried that site, but I get to the please wait your downloading is coming page and it quickly goes to the windows 7 site and never starts downloading anything.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I don't know what to tell you...it's very hard to diagnose these kind of problems - but you really have to be proactive about it if you want to fix anything.

If you're not a computer enthusiast - this probably isn't the place for you. We're not here to fix your computer, it's more of a place to learn.

If you want someone to fix your computer, considering purchasing extended warranties or visiting the local computer repair shop.

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you...

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I'm not asking anyone to fix my computer. The tone of your reply makes it seem like you've given me all this valuable information that I've done nothing with, when in actuality, all you've given me is "It's either a hardware or software issue."

No really?

Also, downloading is not rocket science, if I say I can't get the trial to download, than I can't get it to download. I even made a new account and it wont work. My conclusion that the trial might have ended came from the sentence posted on the page before the download is supposed to start, which said "The 90-day Trial is offered for a limited time and in limited quantity. The download will be available through March 31, 2010, while supplies last."

So, to start over, the only "software" on this computer is Windows XP. So if it's a hardware issue, I just need to know what could be messing it up that would cause lag but not any system start up errors and what not. And if it's software, all that's on here is Windows, and it's the windows that came with the machine.

frozenlead

Distinguished
You said you reinstalled Windows, correct? Did you install drivers and such after that, and it started lagging, or did it start lagging on the first bootup of the fresh install?

Have you tried popping in a Linux live CD? If it lags with that it's definitely a hardware issue.

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I actually didn't think to try doing anything after the fresh install before I loaded up the drivers. I could give that a try I guess. As for the Linux, no I haven't tried it, not too familiar with Linux, but I can probably give that a try.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I wasn't trying to flame you -

it seems like you wanted me to do more work than you were willing to invest...

as for me telling you it's either a hardware or software issue - I don't see where I ever said that.

did you run memtest? did you google windows 7 90-day trial? did you put any effort into trying to install a different o/s?

"No, it does not lag in safe mode." - grimorian

that points a really big arrow that it's a software issue...