Serious problem help

prvoslavhocc

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Hello, this is my first post sorry if i messed up category or any, im not usually on forums. I have problem with my laptop screen, or graphic card, or maybe something else, honestly im not expert for hardware nor software and dont know to diagnostic problem, thats why i need help. Cant say how problem started coz its here for long time but sometimes (problem) is in "hybernation" and now it escaleted and i cant fix it.
I have asus k52j series. One day LCD just turned off after serious i would say fatal error on screen, while i was playing some game, and also whole system went off. I started system in normal mode, entered game again, and same happened. Forgot to say before all of that i had some software problems for long time, infamous svchost.exe problem, where i had to "end process" it over and over after every wake up of system or it would just burn out and die every time. Now i think maybe it destroyed my laptop in many ways but im not competent to say anything.
Now when i wake up system, my LCD wont even work, its completely dead. So i attached laptop to my pc monitor and it works, but, i have that red lines all over the screen from up to down, so idk if its about gpu or my laptop lcd or somehow both. Opened lcd to see if its some cable switched out but seems like all is ok. I have very specific gpu AMD radeon hd 6370m 1gb, it was never good tbh. Meanwhile i reinstaled whole system few times because i thought its software problem, but now i think its not. If anyone still reading my novel, and know anything that could help me about this problem, please leave comment. I'll try to give any more usefull info. Thanks in advance.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
Its possible your laptop is overheating, possibly reach critical temps which can cause severe hardware damage.

I would check dust on the fan and air vents and clean that up, next you want check the thermal paste on the cpu, if its hard and dry then it needs to removed and fresh grease applied. Use some pure alcohol from a pharmacy to remove the past and get some fresh thermal paste from a pc shop.

Then you want to check the GPU, its possible the solder has developed cracks and is not making contact with motherboard, this problem is not the problem you want, one would rather choose to have dust or thermal paste problems than this because the motherboard and gpu may not be able to repaired. In such a situation reflow of the motherboard and gpu is required which is heating of the board and gpu causing the solder to re-weld itself so to speak. This can cost a lot of money and you need to source good help.

Those red line you are seeing leads to believe its a gpu problem. In the mean time see if you can source a new board on Ebay which may be cheaper solution. Also check youtube for some tips as to whether the board can be salvaged if you want to try and repair it, since it boots it looks good from this point view but not necessarily, but do not power the laptop again until you have remove dust if there that issue and checked thermal paste.

prvoslavhocc

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Hello! Thanks for answering, i completely agree on first one with you, it was overheating before but i fixed it some time ago with programs and drivers that are regulating heat and usage, and its not current problem. I bought laptop in 2011. and i didnt know its not for gaming at all, and that should be his main purpose, with 1gb gpu in 2011 you should be able to play almost any game, but i didnt know much about this gpu, and I regret later so much. Now i dont play any high graphic games, just playing some regular that dont need much gpu.
About terminal paste and dust, I did that few months ago, opened laptop and put some term paste, cleaned everything that i could, it was little messy but now its fine. Its not cracked, everything inside laptop is fine as i can know, but as i said im not very good at hardware especially, im afraid i will screw up something inside if i start to put out things, the farest i was about gpu is changing term paste and checking cables that are going to LCD. I mean, i would do it on pc gpu but this one is strange to me. Also, im not planning to buy any new part for this laptop because it doesnt worth any invest... i was more like to take parts from it and make some frankenstein PC with rest of parts, i5 cpu 500gb hard disc, 4gb ram and i would buy 4gb more, i was watching youtube lately about my problem but didnt find resolve yet, and also about making frankenstein but its theme for another thread probably.
Few minutes ago (as im still trying to fix it) it went crazy, wont even start up system, blue screen with some errors idk. I reinstalled system and now will try something again. Probably gpu is having last breath, but still cant understand why my lcd wont work. Also it should be dedicated gpu (i also should have chipset graphic 256 mb i think that should work as processor's memory) i installed amd catalist from amd.com the most recent version, it wont open, again some error over and over. Im fristrated but dont have other pc or money for anything else right now. If you can tell me, could i just turn off this gpu, and start using that chipset atleast, maybe it will work? I was looking in internet about disabling dedicated gpu but not completely understand how should that chipset graphic work and how to do that. Thanks!

prvoslavhocc

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Not possible, i found out i can only use vga graphic (which is horrible useless) or amd radeon with installed catalyst. I also found what is this all about, after 7 lost days of my life. While browsing internet, somehow i saw bunch of people that are talking about the same problem. https://community.amd.com/thread/170792
If anyone in future read my thread and still searching for answer here is link. Thing is that catalyst has some bug and when you install some version of it, your LCD is basicly dead probably forever cos nobody knows how to perma fix it and amd doesnt care at all. Problem is mostly on laptops same as mine series and gpu similar or same as mine. That is why my lcd doesnt work, and red lines i dont know to explain yet but probably problem is mutual between gpu and catalyst bug, not just bug. All in all, thanks for help, i give up on this for now, cant really see how to fix it.