Solved! Serious Static Problem with Laptop

Dec 13, 2018
I bought an HP Laptop a little over a year ago, developed a serious static problem that when ever it was touched and a static spark would enter the laptop, the number lock would blink out a code of 5 long 3 short. Sort of like a bios beep, but blink. Then the wifi shuts down and then freezes up. It was under warranty, HP had me send it back for repair, got it back with a new Motherboard. Within one day it started to do this again, called HP and they told me that there was nothing that they could do. Now i have to live with this factor. Presently the warranty has expired, so I am on my own. Anyone know how I can combat this problem? I took it to an HP repair shop and they told me that their may be a flaw in this model.
I have it sitting on a Anti-Static mat that is well grounded, and also sometime I wear a anti-static band on my arm. I sort of feel as if I am doing a test at the hospital. I am out of options that I may know. Any help please.

Solution

Well if the area in general is conducive to static shocks, it may not be a laptop issue. I get shocked at work at times when it's dry and...
Did you try a different charger? No issues with power at your house? If HP looked at it already not sure what else anyone else can do. You should have dealt with HP on this issue when it was in warranty, there is a lemon law that states if an item had to be fixed for the same issue you would be entitled to a new one or a refund. It mostly is thought about with cars, but really anything with a known flaw that keeps breaking is eligible. Not sure if you can do anything about it now so long after the issue started.

Dec 13, 2018
I did followup with the team that I was assigned with but they would not reply. I now know I should have done more and I am regretting it now. It is my main laptop and fastest laptop I have ever owned. I have a complete History of our family stored on this static laptop, but do have it backed up daily. Our weather has been real dry and the humility is low which causes static. O I only use it when the humility is low and i need to be working on that family project. You mentioned another charger. I am not sure it is the problem, it has done this while on battery power only and not plugged in.

Well if the area in general is conducive to static shocks, it may not be a laptop issue. I get shocked at work at times when it's dry and our heat is running. Un-grounded sockets or a faulty charger will cause electric shocks often.

Solution