setting up a router

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have a netgear c3700 modem/router and i have a r6300 router. i can see both of them on my pc. i have the c3700 connected to the internet. i have the c3700 with the yellow wire going to the yellow port on the c6300 router. i have the c6300 router plugged into the network switch. the network switch is a 10/100 switch . when i do a speed test with the c3700 i got 50 mbps and when i do that with the r6300 now it goes to 89 or 73 depending on the ap doing the test. ip chicken tells me my address is the c3700 combo connected to the internet, so i guess that would be correct.
the issue i'm seeing is i have cameras running on a dvr and nvr i can see them on the recorders but i can't see them on my tablet or phone. i tired changing the ip address but it is not working and on the r6300 i do not see the tablets or camera attached to it and on the c3700 they were all on that and now that unit does not whos anything but my pc and my phone. i lose all the other attached devices on both units. anybody know how to get these back?

ok i then plugged the c3700 into the network switch and then my pc went to that router from being on the r6300 and my speed dropped back to 50 mbps from 95 mbps and the cameras came back. so can anyone tell me how in the world do i connect these two units together so the c3700 is only to get online and the r6300 is only used for a router? i have tried about all i know and i had an IT person try and they could not get it either. for a bit the r6300 was the unit i was using for getting online as my pc showed that for my internet connection. do i have to turn off the c3700 router mode and them plug the r6300 into the c3700? i see so much hubbub about having a router that is seperate from the modem and i can't get the thing to go. there has to be a way to do this. one time i turned off teh router mode on the c3700 and i lost all internet and had to reset to factory so i'm a bit hesitant to do that again.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok from another post on this issue i got a reply that had the steps. back then i did those steps and it failed. but this time i did it again and it seems to be working for now. i had the router off and the modem on i plugged the router into the modem's #1 port and the yellow port on the router. and then i plugged the pc onto the #1 port on the router. i turned off the modem and the router was still off and i think before the pc did not go off so it did not work this time i took the plug out and the battery so i know it was off. i turned on the router then the modem and then the pc. after some time the modem showed the globe so i figured it was then online. the router was on and the pc was on. i went to the website and the r6300 program came up and i did the setup under the advance tab and let it do it's thing. after a bit i saw the pc was online and showing the lan connection. so i took the plug out and the pc went to wifi. setting next to the router i ran speed tests in both modes and i got 120 wired and 95 wifi. so i took the c upstairs where it sets all the time and ran the tests again i got 90 plugged in and 77 wifi. also the pc switches good between them. so i think i may have that figured out. this is the steps that was given to me.

Following Steps should follow for connecting router
  1. Connect your modem to the internet port of the NETGEAR router and your computer to any of the four LAN ports.
  2. Switch the computer, router, and broadband/cable modem, off and on again. Wait for them all to finish booting up.
  3. Open a web browser and type the router's IP address in the address bar and press Enter.
  4. Click Setup Wizard.
  5. Select Yes and click Next.
  6. Click Next. The router saves the settings.
  7. (Optional) To check if you are connected to the internet, select Router Status under Maintenance.
  8. Look at the IP Address field to see if you have a valid IP address

so now i have the issue of getting my camera so i can see them. i have no idea what to do now. i tried changing the ip for when away from home but nothing worked. when home and my table is connected to the router i should see them but nothing. so any help on this is needed bad or i have to take the router offline and go back to the c3700 combo.