Setting up my ancient HT-DS420, Samsung 5.1 theatre system on my PC.

Dejan Mijatovic

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hello again. I have some trouble with my old Samsung theatre system. It's like from 2004, and only has a optical connection from newer standards.

The model is HT-DS420, 5.1 system.

The way i have it hooked up to my PC is via optical cable (in and out), on my new Motherboard GA-Z87-D3HP, which has an connector for a optical cable.

The problem is, that i can't get anything other than Dolby-prologic II showing up on the dvd's display. Most of the time it's only Linear PCM, and only the two tower speakers and subwoofer are working.

In sound options in control panel, I don't have an option to select 5.1. I can only do it for my speaker, which are actualy just a pair of Steelseries 5hv2...

In optical audio out, I don't have any speaker config options at all. I saw that in some videos there is a s/pdif next to the output device, but i don't have that at all. There is only Speaker, Digital audio out, and Digital audio out (optical).

Let me just add that when testing in windows for supported formats, only dolby digital and 44.1hz give any audio.

The speakers are all working, but the problem is that the sound, especialy the voices are muffled. If I were to explain this, "When i watch the same video with my headphones, the voice and the music are in the same level, but when i do it on my 5.1 home theater, either the voice is muffled by the music, or the music is muffled by the voice", and it sounds really strange.

Hope I've explained the problem, and thanks for any feedback.

Dejan Mijatovic

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
NVM, it was the dolby prologic II option on my dvd that was making the problems. All is good now except for random static high pitched noises that come at random and break my ears...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Streaming Video & TVs 4
P Streaming Video & TVs 3
C Streaming Video & TVs 0
D Streaming Video & TVs 8
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
winston89 Streaming Video & TVs 0
Bradagan1 Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
Y Streaming Video & TVs 1
curoius Streaming Video & TVs 6
G Streaming Video & TVs 2