Setting up wireless home audio system without internet

wtxhuq

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
Appreciate any thoughts/feedback, I am trying to set up a decent quality wireless home audio system without Internet. I do not have a music collection and I am not interested in doing anything illegal, such as burning library CDs. It seems to me that purchasing songs online will get expensive as it seems the price is generally .99/song, which could very quickly enter the hundreds or thousands of dollars (or are classical songs free?).

What I am considering is to get a 5-CD changer and using library CDs, since the collection is in the thousands there will be no shortage of options. I haven't figured out how to get it wireless so I can listen in different rooms. I am thinking I can buy a router and set up a wireless network without internet, and there are a plethora of high-quality Wifi speakers on sale. But I'm not clear on how to get the output from a CD changer to a Wifi network.

Or are there inexpensive solutions to creating a music collection, either with CDs or by buying songs online (I can go to a library or somewhere with internet to do this)?

The Sonos Play 5 has an audio input so you could use one of those and any other combination of Sonos wireless speakers to play CDs in any and all rooms.
Classical music is not free (usually not sold by song or movement either. You can buy used CDs and legally rip them so they can be accessed without the physical disc being used.

wtxhuq

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

Thanks for the idea, I looked into the Sonos system. It is pretty expensive, would another option be to purchase a router (since I don't have internet), get a Wifi receiver, and then I could purchase any Wifi speakers on the market? Presumably I could play songs from a laptop since my laptop has Wifi and I could plug in any audio component (eg, a CD player) into the receiver and broadcast that?