Shopping for Mirrorless Interchangeable lens camera -budget $1000-1500

vijay172

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

between 500-1500$ Could go higher if need be.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Small like in Mirrorless Interchangeable lens with Wifi connectivity.Definitely not the big DSLR's.
I have an Canon EOs rebel analog SLR that i don't use anymore.
really liked Canon's Menu option dial for portrait,landscape, action,AF etc.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Not sure. 20+ MP.Not sure if I need that much.
Mostly upload to Facebook and Google+ 99% of the time.So, ease of use there will be helpful.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
Not sure-Ultra Zoom maybe.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

yes for my kids pics.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
Not that much.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Take pics of my daughter-portrait and dance parties at home- low light at night and with movement.
Autofocus important.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
No.But want a good eco-system for lenses if I get into it.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Saw a samsung NX1 which looked cool feature wise.Also, saw a Sony a6000 at a good price at costco.
Also been looking at Fuji X-T1 and Panasonic Lumix GH4.
If Sony or samsung, what kind of lens should I be getting ?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
IS, Rotating LCD, Weatherproof

gskill support

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Sony a6000 is about $1000 with 2 lenses, then there's a higher model a7 for $1500 or so with single lens. Both are great, small, portable, easy to use, outstanding photos. Not sure where you live, but they are available in Best Buy stores to play with.

A7 model has a better LCD that provides a precise display of the actual picture. It is capable of higher ISO, works well in low light settings, action, etc.

As far as lens, it depends on the range, but based on your needs I would say go with the a6000. It comes with a closer range and telephoto lens so you have options. I think it's 55mm-200mm, so as long as the picture is at least 5 feet away, it can take a fantastic picture. Inside a home, using the closer range lens would be better.

It is the ideal camera for a family, especially at the price point and quality of photos. The AUTO mode works extremely well for facial recognition and proper focusing, which it sounds like what you want.