Question Should I attempt to repair my potentially failing Galaxy S7? (Intermittent black screen)

Jun 23, 2020
Hi everyone,

some days ago the screen of my Galaxy S7 went black while using it. If I changed the angle I was holding the phone / tapped or shook it carefully the problem went away. For 1-2 days it was reproducable quite easily.
My guess what is causing this:
  1. Loose flex cable
  2. Corroded flex connector (the phone is IP68 "water resistant", but I assume over time repeated exposure to rain might reach the electronics after all)
  3. Broken flex cable
After a few days, the issue has gone away completely now.

I looked up where the flex connector is and how I can reach it. It is on the back of the phone, which means I have to remove the back side, which is glass glued on. So I have to heat the back and pull the glass off the body which, according to ifixit, is hard and risky. I do have an ifixit-kit and am not hesitant to give repairing my suff a shot, but I do not have much experience with delicate electronics like phones yet.

My dilemma is, if the phone is corroding and I continue using it without dealing with that problem properly, as far as I know it might end up not being repairable anymore. If it is not, I might break a perfectly fine phone while trying to repair something that is not worth the risk. Coming to my concrete questions:
  • Is there any way to judge which of the assumed issues is on hand? (Without opening it up)
  • Does any of you have experience with this kind of issue?
  • If I go ahead an open it up, what should I prepare? e.g. look for a replacement flex-cable if available, IPA for cleaning, glue for resealing (which one/type would you recommend?), etc.
Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Best regards
Jens

Jun 23, 2020
Might be a software problem as well or a failing display
Based on the failure mode I am 99.9% certain it is a hardware issue and pretty sure it's a connection issue (loose flex cable, corroded contacts or broken conductor). Maybe the more unlikely option of a broken BGA joint of the graphics/display chip.