Should I buy a new anti-virus or stick with the one I have.

GreenViking1999

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I have a really beefy PC, FX 8350 and 16 gigs of ram, ect. Anyways, I was wondering if I should get a less resource intensive anti-virus. I currently run TrendMicro Anti-Virus, got it in a deal with an laptop for Christmas, I run Malwarebytes as a backup program for TrendMicro. While I don't have any speed issues in games and other software I wonder if I can make my computer even faster with a less resource intensive anti-virus. I have about 15 dollars in my G2A account after selling one of my CS:GO knives and I spent the other 20 dollars on a season pass for Battlefront. Which I can run at all high and TAA anti-aliasing. Would it be a good idea to buy a better anti-virus or should I keep my current one that I have?

*If you suggest that I switch could you please leave a suggestion for an anti-virus with your comment? Thanks!*

Solution
Unless you have some specific requirement to change stick with the TrendMicro that you have.

That said, I do understand the "less resource intensive anti-virus" requirement per se.

However unless the current resource situation is degraded just leave things as they are.

Try running/bench marking your PC with and without TrendMicro running. Gaming and not gaming. See how much difference the AV software actually makes.

Do some objective testing as consistently as possible. Quantify the present situation. Lots of variable involved.

Then remember that if you change your AV you will need to do the same testing to see if performance has really improved. Difficult to tell unless some particular product is openly known for undue...
Unless you have some specific requirement to change stick with the TrendMicro that you have.

That said, I do understand the "less resource intensive anti-virus" requirement per se.

However unless the current resource situation is degraded just leave things as they are.

Try running/bench marking your PC with and without TrendMicro running. Gaming and not gaming. See how much difference the AV software actually makes.

Do some objective testing as consistently as possible. Quantify the present situation. Lots of variable involved.

Then remember that if you change your AV you will need to do the same testing to see if performance has really improved. Difficult to tell unless some particular product is openly known for undue resource usage affecting performance. A new AV could cause performance degradation. May or may not be noticeable from the end user/gamer's viewpoint.

Solution