Solved! Should I buy a new laptop or upgrade the existing one?

_satwik

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I've a 3 year old Lenovo Z50-70 with the specs

- i5 4th Gen
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HD
- 2 GB Nvidia Geforce 840M

And I'm running Ubuntu (mostly) and Windows in Dual boot.

Lately I've been feeling the need of higher performance. I planned to buy a 256 GB SSD and a 8GB RAM but I'm confused if it's worth the effort to upgrade or should I just buy a new one.

I've a few more questions regarding the upgrade?
- Will the impact of upgrade in SSD and RAM be limited by my i5-4th Gen processor.
- Are there any compatibility issues that I should keep in mind while performing the upgrade?
- This one is bit lame, but how much performance boost will the above mentioned upgrades provide to my laptop.

Solution

then just get the ssd and the additional 8gb.it will definitely improve you system.
the ssd is definitely the best possible upgrade as it will reduce boot time,write speed,program execution.as for ram unless u doing some heavy work,or playing latest games then 8gb should be enough.if u are looking to play latest or upcoming games i suggest getting a new laptop though.

_satwik

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I'm not into playing heavy games, but I'd like to do some Machine Learning stuff like training neural networks and playing around with GBs of data.

then just get the ssd and the additional 8gb.it will definitely improve you system.

Solution