Should I get Seperate Headphones and Mic for gaming?

trevorcory

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi, So I recently bought a Siberia 150 which broke on me 2 weeks later and to be fair where just too sensitive with hardly anyway of adjusting it well. I have since returned it and am in the market again for a headset or separate headset or microphone. I am more inclined to the latter after my experiences.

To be fair i normally game with the speakers on as I have a decent sound setup, and have my headset on my desk and use it microphone while gaming. But on the odd occasion I may be a bit too loud so wear the headphones, but not very often, so still want to have some sort of headphones.

So What I want to ask is should I carry on looking for a "gaming" headset with built in mic or get both separately. Unfortunately my budget is only around £50, so most headsets I see lack in the microphone department but seem popular because they're comfortable and sound well which isn't my biggest concern. So im thinking going separate and not sure what is decent at that sort of price.

Currently these are going for £20 and seem to have good reviews,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361489032346?clk_rvr_id=1043325761244&rmvSB=true

are these any good or is there anything better at that sort of price?

Mic wise I get a littel stuck as there are quite a few out these and the Snowball is out of my price range. But apparently these are meant to be good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001R76D42/ref=twister_B00P8NX5JM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Solution

I use a few chat servers and host a 24/7 Ventrillo server. I've pretty much given up on using my 5.1 setup with a desktop Mic because it's always something..... I get my side sounding and feeling great...

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have both setups as well, Headset with Mic and speakers with desktop Mic. It is difficult to hear people using Speakers + desktop Mics because of the feedback loop that gets generated when you hot mic. "Push to talk" in short bursts can minimize this but sometimes you have more than a sentence to spit out and the loop will start.

Lately I have been using my speakers(preferred for gaming) with the headset around my neck so I can use the onboard Mic from the headset which, isn't so elegant, but has mostly eliminated the feedback loop. I should just get a new wearable Mic and ditch the headset.

Take what you will from the above experience. =)

trevorcory

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I found using certain applications such as discord really worked wonders on the feedback and just finding that sweet spot in the settings I managed to just keep my headset on my desk using its mic and still use my normal speakers. To be fair it kind of created a small echo for the others talking but was bearable. I was kind of hoping a good desktop mic would just perform better than a headset mic and give me a better experience. Maybe a wearable mic might be the answer to this type of setup as its pretty hard to get right!

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I use a few chat servers and host a 24/7 Ventrillo server. I've pretty much given up on using my 5.1 setup with a desktop Mic because it's always something..... I get my side sounding and feeling great only to learn others have muted me or turned me way down because they can't hear me over the frag-fest explosions/gunfire. I correct for them and end up with a feedback loop on my side, heh. My office isn't very big and a wearable Mic with my Logitech Z-5300e THX 5.1 setup is what I prefer.

Solution

NoNameAvailable

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
Personally I use a desktop mic and headphones, and it works well (although I do want a 7.1 surround sound headset as I can't find many good 7.1 headphones.) I use Sony v55's and a blue snowball, along with some studio monitors as my desktop speakers.
I honestly don't know if you can get a good desktop mic and headphone combination with 50 quid, you could probably buy yourself a small clip on mic & a pair of headphones from Amazon, look at the reviews though because some cheap mics are really terrible imo, there's nothing worse than talking to someone on mic with a constant hissing sound in the background. As for headphones Sony v-55's are really good value for money, I broke my first pair after about two years and bought another straight away

I would recommend stretching your budget if possible, as they're both items that should last a long time.
Hope this helps in some way