Should I get this?

CuriousAmerican

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
This is about something so small that I want to treat it as a laptop.

I am trying to make a small (under 15 lb) video editing rig.

None is made by Dell or HP for under $1800. HP makes the HP Z2 G3, but fully loaded for my needs with small K620 Quadro is around $1800. They charge for extra RAM like Apple.

However, if I built a mini-ITX machine myself, there are severe weight problems.

=========================

However, this option has possibilities.

AsRock 110M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrSgX2ybTQ

I would load it with an

A) i7-7700 $315
B) 256GB of m.2 2280 NMVE storage $140
C) a 2.5" HDD Seagate 1TB $55
D) Crucial (2x16) S0 Dimm Ram $230 (2133 MHZ) - 260 pin
------------------------------------------

+ $140 for case = $860

The problem is .... NO ... dedicated graphics card.

THOUGH IT IS A MAC MINI (even the 2012 quad core) Killer.

=========================

I am interested in making YT video (1080p or 1440p) About 1-3 10 minute videos per day.

Can the HD 630 iGPU handle this? I would use Adobe Premiere Elements (not Pro) or KDENlive

This could be a best of a computer except for the lack of a dGPU.

I have spend days trying to get something similar in size for an mini-ITX build, and I would tolerate spending $300-400 more; but the weight and complexity goes through the roof. I am a bit of a klutz.

I would be doing some video effects as I edit. Like audio voice changes.

I intend to run a dual boot - Win 10 / Linux which is why I want the 32GB RAM as I may run a VM, while editing,

Maybe 16GB is sufficient.

Would this thing overheat? Is this workable? Will doing editing on the CPU and iGPU kill the chip quicker? Can one insert a second mini-fan?

If only this thing had just 1 pcie for a dGPU.

How reliable are AsRock boards?

This AsRock Desk Mini 110 STX is a dream except I do not know if I can video edit with it.

I am asking everywhere, because I want a sure opinion before I spend $860. Or $760 if I go with only 16GB.

I want a super small video editing rig. No more than 12 lbs, not a laptop, nor a 12 lb Cooler Master case.

I was thinking for going with a Cooler Master Elite 130 (7lbs) but I would need an external power supply .... HDPLEX no longer makes the PSU which would work for me.

Solution
If you are into video editing more cores the better .
Hence I would suggest you go for the new Ryzen series processors like the 1700 or so which will fit your budget pretty well.
iGPUs are crap at video editing so please do not use a system with only iGPU for the workload you mentioned.
I suggest you get a quadro card within your budget and pair it with a Ryzen system.
That should take care of most things.
If you are video editing 32GB can come in handy.

manv

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
If you are into video editing more cores the better .
Hence I would suggest you go for the new Ryzen series processors like the 1700 or so which will fit your budget pretty well.
iGPUs are crap at video editing so please do not use a system with only iGPU for the workload you mentioned.
I suggest you get a quadro card within your budget and pair it with a Ryzen system.
That should take care of most things.
If you are video editing 32GB can come in handy.

Solution