Should I really get a Dell?

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey everyone.

I'm heading off to college next year and have to start shopping for a laptop required for my lessons... I started looking at dell, which seems to have really nice laptops, but I'm wondering if paying the extra price for a Dell is something worth it.

Obviously, I checked more than Dell (Toshiba, HP, Acer, etc.), but they had the more appealing ones; and their site offers a build-up, which really puts on paper what you get, and what you're paying for, which is something I appreciate.

Here is what I want to emphasize upon the build-up.

- Good Graphics
- Nice HD (hi res) screen
- Portability (laptop weight and size)

Here is the setup I am currently looking at:

- T8300 or higher processor (opting for T9 series for additional cache; just waiting for a drop in price)
- nVidia 8600GT 256mb Graphics card (this is the best they offer for a laptop of that size; I wished to have something better as I hope to game on this laptop and I have used to my powerful desktop: is it enough?)
- 3-4GB of RAM (probably won't need much more than three other than for Crysis, but I like showing off; mouthing off in this case)
- Full HD Widescreen (1920x1200) & 2mp camera (I want to stress on this as my dad just received a Dell Latitude with basic screen and it SUCKS).

Other than that, I don't really give a damn about anything else. I will probably get an external HD so I don't need anything more than 250GB (I have a desktop with 1TB anyway). The laptops weight and size really bothered me in the beginning but I'll probably get used to 15.4", I would have taken the m1330 if it could have taken it the 8600GT (after seeing it with my eyes first though; and upgrading the screen wouldn't be as useful...).

I am simply posting this to get some suggestions and opinions about Dell. I have used Dell before, but purchasing my own laptop from them seems to be expensive. Where should I look at and why, what do they offer that is better than Dell?

I don't need computer lessons as I know what I'm doing; I just want personal opinions about Dell prioritizing on the XPS. Thanks

*PS: Sorry for blasting comments about the latitude screen, but I was just shocked when I compared it to my LCD screen.
**PSS: About the budget, it is currently revolving around 1700-2200$ USD, it just depends on what I get.

Regards,
Patrick

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

Well DELL XPS M1530 and M1730 are good laptops but they have some problems i see it in other forums especially in the dellsupportforum

u may want to consider SAGER , its a very good brand and has better specs/design/price than most expensive brands

SAGER NP9262:
Ultimate desktop replacement with Intel Core2Duo/Core2Quad Desktop CPUs
2x8800MGTX
3xHDD
Up to 4GB DDR2 800 RAM

SAGER NP5793:
Intel Core2Duo Mobile CPUs(T8100 up to X9000) which the X9000 model can be OC'd too
8800MGTX
Up to 4GB DDR2 667 RAM

SAGER NP2092:
Same CPU like NP5793
8600MGT
Up to 4GB RAM

all of these 3 laptops are cheaper and better than their rivals which are:
DELL XPS M1730,ALIENWARE M17x
ALIENWARE M15x
DELL XPS M1530

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I am currently looking at the NP2092, which seems to be the best solution for me. I would like to stay below the 15.4" models as I'll have to carry it around everywhere I go...

Obviously the first one I clicked was the NP9262 which sent me off dreaming to owning a quad-core laptop... but, it's a bit over budget (I could sell my desktop....).

I forgot to mention a few things in my prior post. First of all, I live in Canada, so ordering cross country and really send customs fees over the top. I got nearly 550$ of custom fees when I ordered my desktop. This is why I chose Dell at the start.

I will inform myself of SAGER's shipment procedures to ensure I don't get customs fees, and I am currently considering Sager over Dell at this point. Using the specifications I get $1619 with Dell and $1399 with Sager, including the $399 rebate from Dell and the $300 rebate from Sager on the laptops.

Thanks for any upcoming suggestions!

Pat

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Maziar,

I have another question about SAGER. Do they actually make laptops or these are custom built? I have used a custom builder for my desktop and have seriously regretted it. Lack of warraty and support, especially if you live anywhere outside of that country.

Do you have a SAGER, what model? Thanks

PS: I have just sent them a message about the custom fees.

Sager gets their laptops from a company called Clevo. I own one, it's in my sig. I've had mine for about a year now and I have no regrets what so ever. I ordered from sagernotebook.com and they handle all first year warranty issues themselves. The screen on my unit is amazingly clear and bright, strong performance for a laptop and it is sturdily built.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for your comment lostandwandering. Hell I feel like getting the NP9262 just for the specs... I'm still scared of those custom fees though =).

If anyone has anything to suggest other than SAGER, please do so. Thanks for you support.

**Oh and my uncle had a 3.06Ghz P4 in his toshiba and the thing overheats. I'm suprised they manage to put a desktop quad core in a laptop... Anyway... personnal comment..

Why_Me

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668070.php <---This one rocks for price and it's a good gaming laptop.

$1,349

Operating System Genuine Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Home Premium (64-bit) SP1

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor1 T5550 (1.83GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

Memory 4096MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules)5

Hard Drive 320GB 5400RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8MB cache (1-320GB)6

Video NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800M GTS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory

Display 17.0" WXGA+ Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1440 x 900 max. resolution)

Chassis Intel® PM965 Chipset

Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash™ Technology4

Web Camera Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions but I think I'd like to keep it to 15.4" and below. I checked all the size and weight of the notebooks and I can't even think about carrying something over 10lbs in my bag all day.

Don't suggest things like 7" but from 12.1" to 15.4" is where I want to keep it.

** I will game on it, but I do have a gaming desktop, and a 22" LCD which I will use at home, so no need for anything of 15.4". Thanks :p

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'll go do more "store" shopping this week. I'll post if I find anything interesting.

A problem I've found with stores is that they don't upgrade laptops. I personally would like to have the 8 or 9 series of Core 2 Duos...

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Snipingkid, thats exactly the same situation as the one im in! I need a small laptop which i can carry around and i have an expensive and powerful desktop with a 22" monitor for gaming!

The two laptops im looking at are the Dell XPS M1330 (13.3") and the HP TX2130 (12.1" tablet which weighs 1.92kg, just over 4lbs). Both will cost me around £650 so with your higher budget you could quite easily get the Dell XPS M1330 with every upgrade making it an awesome laptop for the size! I think im getting the TX2130 though as it cant be upgraded and i couldnt afford it anyway and the touch screen capability in tablet mode will be quite useful!

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The problem is with these small laptops is that we can't pack the punch we think we may need :p For my part, I'd like a better graphics card.

Here is what I'm looking for after a bit of researching... just have to wait for Dell to accept it as a build, or find something else:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT (or better)
Full Hi Definition, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1920x1200; I can deal with 1680x1050)
4GB of 667mhz RAM
250GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (or better)
w/ Bluetooth enabled

This is pretty much it for now. Dell basically has this but I don't have access to the rebate with the processor setup and they only have the 8600GT 256mb version... I think the 8600GT 512 is worth it.

Back to shopping... :p

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'm currently checking out the 8600 GT and I'm all screwed up, I starting to believe that the 512mb model doesn't exist; and on some threads, they specify the 8600GT 256mb being GDDR2...

I could always sell my desktop and get the DELL XPS m1730. Although Sager offered better prices, I like the way the XPS looks... but I don't think it'd be a good idea; I still have to carry around a 12lb thing.

Well in UK the XPS M1730 is a better choice because its cheaper and the NP9262 is very expensive, also i like the looks and the design of M1730 more than SAGER NP9262. It also has the a backlit keyboard which is a useful feature.

The main difference between M1730 and SAGER NP9262 is that the SAGER one has desktop CPUs and 3xHDDs but the M1730 has Mobile CPUs and 2x HDDs, and both are the best notebook currently and outperform many desktops out there :)