Should I replace my laptop?

piece

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I'm looking for any feedback here about buying/replacing laptop.

I have Acer Aspire 4750G (i5 2410M / 640GB HDD / 6GB RAM / NVIDIA GEFORCE GT540M / Win 7). I believe that it runs fine, I'm using for two years. However, I've been looking at some of the new laptops today and honestly I felt like I want to replace mine just by looking at their specs (especially the lenovo y510p).

And also the new games that needs higher performance laptops.

When I play some games like Metro Last Light, I have low fps.Call of Juarez Gunslinger however plays fine. NBA2K13 has probably below average fps. But overall, my games play about average using my Acer Aspire.

Would it be wise to buy a new gaming laptop? Or should I keep Acer Aspire?

If ever it's better to buy a new laptop, can you suggest a good gaming laptop for a price of $850? Maybe I can reach a budget of $1000.

Mostly I use my laptop for gaming and school work.

Solution
Sorry for the late reply.
First off I would get a desktop to put in your dorm room as it'll be a lot cheaper and more powerful for a lower price. Especially for the things your planning to do. However if your computer at home isn't good enough i'd go with a laptop. The specs you proposed should do you fine (depending on what fps you want on certain games) shall you decide to build it however I would put the specs into http://pcpartpicker.com just to check for basic compatability issues and then check for further compatability issues.

piece

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Well, I live in a dorm and every weekend I go back to my hometown. So I always use laptop, I have a desktop actually in my permanent home (hometown). I don't really use it so much (just my family).

But if ever I'm gonna make a custom built, I don't really have any experience on building one, although I am planning one about months ago.

Here is the gaming rig I found on the Internet (from forbes)

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB 2.5? SSD + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5? 7200RPM
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Win 7 or Win 8

It says that it's a good $750 cpu. I just don't know where to start buying yet or whether this is really a good one.

ArchieCroston

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Sorry for the late reply.
First off I would get a desktop to put in your dorm room as it'll be a lot cheaper and more powerful for a lower price. Especially for the things your planning to do. However if your computer at home isn't good enough i'd go with a laptop. The specs you proposed should do you fine (depending on what fps you want on certain games) shall you decide to build it however I would put the specs into http://pcpartpicker.com just to check for basic compatability issues and then check for further compatability issues.

Solution