shuts down problems

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
hi i have a asus a52f and is around 5 years old. 2 weeks ago it shut down on its own. it rebooted ok after pressing the power button but around 2 mins after boot up the screen when black and switched off again. i have removed rear panel and blow out the fan but didn't find much. reassembled fan and tested it works ok. rebooted pc and you can here the fan working and speeds up after around 2 mins of boot up. but again it switched off so i removed the cooper heat sink and cleaned off all the old heat paste. renewed past and again reassembled but again still switched off. im thinking it is a heat problem. i have tried removing hard drive and let it sit with a boot up screen but still switches off. tried ram, battery ect but no joy. help. could it be the motherboard or could the cooper heat sink. does this have liquid or gas in. thanks pat

Solution
Any part can go defective. Before getting a new part (or while you wait on the part) I would suggest putting on new thermal paste and see if that resolves the problem.
To test the heating and other issues have you tried installing programs like "Speedfan" or other similar ones? They can give you a better view of any potential issues in regard to fans and heat.

Also, you might try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

hi i cant do anything in time before it shuts down. i havr tried the reset before and it made no difference. it is a heat issue i think?

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
hi i cant do anything in time before it shuts down. i have tried the reset before and it made no difference. it is a heat issue i think? it all works fine for 3 minutes then shuts down.

The information I gave you doesn't require it be on. It is to try and remove all possible power from the device so you can see if it will then start.

Also, if it were just a heating issue, it would not turn off so quickly and it would cool down after being left off for a while.

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

It could be a hardware issue, but try the following first and see if it lets you on and stays on. If this works, then you know you have something running on the computer that is the cause (software not hardware) which you can hopefully remove.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

patrickslight

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
ok i have an update. i have removed the fan from the housing and placed it right next to the cpu so it blows air over the copper part right next to the cpu. it has been on now for over 20 mins and still going. my question is it looks definitely a heat issue but can the copper heat sink go defective.