Side Panel Door Lock not switching with electrical lock switch/remote

MCMailbox

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

I've never posted anything about cars here but since Toms hardware is easily my favorite forum site and they have this category I figured I'd give it a shot. My car is a 1999 Lexus RX300, and recently the front passenger door lock, which is a side panel (the one on the side of the door that switches horizontally, not vertically like those in cars like BMWs), has stopped working with the electrical locking mechanism, so I cant lock/unlock the door with either the remote or the switches, I have to either flick the actual latch or use the key on the outside of the door. I've looked into this and I believe it may be from people riding in my car that have manually flicked the latch unlocked rather than pressing the lock button, and have messed up the air pump/mechanics within the door that flip the latch. How can I fix this? Will I have to take it to the dealer or can I take off the handle frame and reset something?

Thank you very much.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Based on what you described a door lock actuator has burned out. It probably doesn't have much to do with people manually flicking the switch as much as it is simply a component that will eventually die. Both of the rear ones in my truck have died and I found the parts online for $20 per door or $40 at autozone but I've been too lazy to replace them.

You may be able to fix it yourself, I would look to see if there is any information online about replacing them for your particular model vehicle.