Siri May Let Anyone Gain Access to a Locked iPhone 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Having that set to on by default is utter stupidity on the part of Apple.[/citation]

They don't have the experience with security that Microsoft does...

komodothedragon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
The camera is also available with the pascode set!! Again another security hole. Lockout/Pascode should mean just that ... it does in the BlackBerry World :)

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Apple products dont have viruses or other malicious flaws. That's a feature! And you're doing it wrong![/citation]
That's quite a bullsh*t feature!

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]komodothedragon[/nom]The camera is also available with the pascode set!! Again another security hole. Lockout/Pascode should mean just that ... it does in the BlackBerry World :)[/citation]

It does in most any other mobile device.

But this is no suprise to me. At PWN2OWN Mac OSX is always the first to be hacked along with Safari.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Further testament that the iPhone is the idiotPhone. If SIRI was locked by default, most people probably wouldn't have a clue how to unlock it if they wanted to, let alone even knew it was possible.

Oversight by Apple? I think not.

Oh yeah and don't be an idiot and leave your cell phone laying around for others to use it, either. You never know what charges you might incur or worse, what they might be doing with your phone. If I had an iPhone (which won't be happening), I wouldn't leave my phone around so someone else can open up the Pod Bay Doors.

I can hardly wait until a criminal gets caught using SIRI by finding a location to bury a dead body.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Siri is NOTHING but a gimmick piece of shit, it's hilarious that Apple is calling it iphone 4s' most important feature. Goes to show how much of a piece of crap iphone 4s and apple products are

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Droid facial recognition + Siri equal problem solved, Siri should have never sold to Apple and held out , licensing itself to both Apple and Google and Windows guys. Look at dropbox , apple wanted to buy them, they wanted to keep their product as a product not a feature, and now they are worth $2+ billion in terms of evaluation.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I actually think this is quite a serious security problem with Siri and the default should definitely have been to 'off' - most people will assume that their phone is secure by default and that's clearly not the case. I'm not sure exactly what Siri allows an 'attacker' to do though - I don't think it allows them to unlock the phone, view documents, etc. The article here states that it was used to write a resignation letter - but that can very easily be done already by simple email spoofing.

Facial recognition would not be a suitable replacement because the whole idea of Siri is that you don't necessarily have to hold the phone in front of you, it may be on the car seat next to you. Holding it up to your face / swiping is just as inconvenient. In fairness, I think the vast majority would probably want Siri to work when the phone is locked because that's when it's most useful - but even so it should definitely be an opt-in feature.

Perhaps a good solution would be that you can unlock Siri by speaking to it - it could recognise that it's your voice.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Apple products dont have viruses or other malicious flaws. That's a feature! And you're doing it wrong![/citation]
Nah, you are just uninformed on that question. Apples products can boast with quite decent number of malicious flaws and exploits.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Why doesn't it have voice recognition? That would solve the problem rather simply. Even it's not perfect, the odds of having someone A) pick up my phone without me knowing it, B) being ill-intended and C) having the same voice as mine are pretty slim!

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Siri is NOTHING but a gimmick piece of shit, it's hilarious that Apple is calling it iphone 4s' most important feature. Goes to show how much of a piece of crap iphone 4s and apple products are[/citation]

Sucks to be you to be in such denial. Probably can't afford one. Get a job and an education, thxs.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Having that set to on by default is utter stupidity on the part of Apple.[/citation]

Hmmm.. every phone I have ever purchased comes unlocked by default and if I leave it somewhere anyone can pick it up and make calls. Holly HORROR!!!!

Hmmm.... I have to secure my phone by setting a pass code and lock.

Anyways, its good to have something to rowl up droid-heads. I am sure this will be as catastrophic to iPhone sales as antenna-gate. I think most of you droid-heads are still in therapy/denial from that one. f'n LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.