Siri Successfully Ported to iPhone 4, iPod touch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought Siri was going to be released once it gets out of the beta phase? why bother reverse engineer when it will be out sooner or later. waste of time some people have on their hands...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Officially, Apple will release Siri as a standalone app again when they will charge you (almost) the difference of price between an 4 and a 4S. Just to get the money they would have made on the 4S sale...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]I'm pretty pleased really. I know the 4s is selling like hot cakes to the sheeple, but the one stand out feature of this release that was delayed from the june cycle - Siri - has had to be artificially fixed to the 4s. The same siri that was puchased in june 2010 because apple can control the market with it's huge cash pile, so, that something that was going to be available to everyone with a smartphone is now just available to 4s (and ipad2? am i right?) users. But this is good right media people? we still love apple? they always do the best thing? apple can do no wrong? we still need to drop our pants and let apple do us? i need guidance here![/citation]
Actually, hopefully iPad3; but not ipad2. And the TV set they're working on...

G

Trust Wikipedia? Check out Siri's history;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri_%28software%29

Siri was an app in the app store before it the 4S, and it ran on all iPhone models. The new Siri is a bit different from the old Siri app.

From what I understand, the app takes your voice question, turns that into zeros and ones, sends that data to Apple which may send it to others such as Yelp, YaHoo, or Bing, then sends the response back to your phone. The phone doesn't do a lot of processing of the query. In other words, turn off 3G and WIFI and you have no Siri.

Apple paid a lot of money for Siri. If they only want to make it available to the 4S, it's their right. If you don't like it, do something about it. Download PAL and make your own app out of it; https://pal.sri.com/Plone/framework

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]scanlia[/nom]Apple: Siri only works on the iPhone 4S's dual-core processor because of its high need of processing power. Me: Clearly.[/citation]

I think Siri is pretty much just a speech to text convert and vice versa, and sends the text to Apple's servers that does all the computation. There is no technological reason why it is not supported by device other than the iphone 4s. I know it can add stuff to your calendar such as appointments and other things like that, but that isn't much of a technology hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS