'Six Strikes' Anti-Piracy Scheme Delayed, Says CCI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]How will the ISPs know that you are downloading illegal content? Will they be sniffing data packets or relying on your history of searches with their DNS servers?[/citation]
Packet sniffing probably isn't worth their time (and it's expensive). If they do it via DNS, people will simply use other DNS servers. Piracy can't be stopped. (again)

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
If this system uses packet sniffing then I have serious concerns about false positives. Can you imagine how mad you would be if your ISP cut off your connection because of false positives?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Now can someone please find the part that should make everyone do a double take?Hint:Still nothing?So ISP's are now implimenting a system based off no actual proof of infringement, most likely just a bunch of IP's randomly grabbed from a third-party the MPAA/RIAA and others outsource to, and report to the ISP's. So I'm starting to understand the phrase, Judge, Jury, and Executioner a little more.Most major ISP's in America own the majority of television networks/channels or have vested interests in them. Now they make the rules, but if you don't like what they're doing this is a capitalist free market America we're talking about, I can just switch to another provider, right? Wait. In most medium to highly populated areas there is usually only one Cable provider and one DSL (Teleco) provider. Damn it, they happen to fall under that "Major national ISP" category. Competition? Oh Cable Companies tend to get 10, 15, 20 year locks on the cities/counties they invested in with service. As for DSL, hell they're just trying to stay relevent in a DOCSIS 3.0 and FIOS moving world, much less make any real effort to milk customers to pay for there dying infrustructure.I feel sorry for the smaller towns that don't even get a second option for a provider, usually they're just stuck with one tyrant. If it wasn't for Fukashima I'd probably move to Japan, U.S. is slowly destroying the very thing they created.[/citation]

Taiwan and South korea are available, 100mbps for $23USD a month in Taiwan, Unlimited too!

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]Damn, fuc**ng goverment![/citation]
Yup, and the fascist loving left are the worse. Vote Tea Party Republican if you want your freedom and government back.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The government has ZERO involvement in this.They only seem to approve of it....if there's no chance of it potentially hindering their stealing.....This only covers copyrighted material, which is theft, which no religion supports.[/citation]
If you believe that I have good dry land in a swamp to sell you.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Six Strikes?!

Lucky!

We have a three strike rule here in New Zealand. America put a lot of pressure on our government. Attacking the little guy...

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The government has ZERO involvement in this.They only seem to approve of it....if there's no chance of it potentially hindering their stealing.....This only covers copyrighted material, which is theft, which no religion supports.[/citation]

when you copy somethign you are not stealing anything thus you are not a theif....

in fact copying something is good for everyone...if you are too stupid to see this then you are a fool

when you steal something you deprive someone of their property....simply copying something is not depriving anyone of their property....

lets see i could steal my neighbors front porch, and put it in my house...or i can simply copy it and we both have one....

or the little boy sees my bike and wants it...should he steal it, thus depriving me of my property, or if he could some how impossibly make a copy of the bike meaning both of us now have one makes the world a better place....

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]tk1138[/nom]when you copy somethign you are not stealing anything thus you are not a theif....in fact copying something is good for everyone...if you are too stupid to see this then you are a fool when you steal something you deprive someone of their property....simply copying something is not depriving anyone of their property....lets see i could steal my neighbors front porch, and put it in my house...or i can simply copy it and we both have one....or the little boy sees my bike and wants it...should he steal it, thus depriving me of my property, or if he could some how impossibly make a copy of the bike meaning both of us now have one makes the world a better place....[/citation]It deprives you of your property... the net result being you have to pay for a new bike. That last part applies to piracy too, copying it means you don't have to pay for it - depriving someone of their cash. People cling to that feeble justification as a valid argument in support of piracy, where it simply isn't.

That said, most arguments against piracy are also badly flawed. I'm largely on the fence, I rent most of what I watch and buy second-hand games.

If pricing of this content was cheaper or people were able to sample the content for quality before paying the cash, there would likely be more sales.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Wasnt there a ruling recently that they couldnt sue people because an IP address is only an access point on this plannet and NOT a person??

Who knows what devices can connect to that IP and how many of them. They say to encrypt your wifi but that isnt secure and can be hacked in minuites!!!
I still beleive that this is a waste of time and may end up with people being taken to court and then years later it will be deemed illegal for the MPAA/RIAA to act like bully's. The bad thing about that is that lots of people will already have been prosecuted!!
Use a VPN or go through a proxy!!

G

@tk1138

You really have no idea how wrong you are with this statement, you call others fools when you clearly have no justification for what you say. Just because you are not taking from someone directly, as raringcoder stated, you are depriving someone of a sale so you are causing someone loss.

I am a software developer myself, I started my company last year and was incredibly successful. As my sales were approaching 20 a day I was drawing up plans to take on full-time support staff and a developer to help out with updates as I am in a very fast paced industry where changes need making very regularly.

Over night I saw the daily avg drop from 18 to 2 that was a loss of around $750 a day and it was all down to piracy, this was back in November of last year. When you searched for my product in Google 7 of the top 10 results were pages to download my tool. Business never did fully pick up (besides many hours spent trying to spur on sales with improvements and link take down requests) so essentialy I have lost an unfathomable amount of cash and am now totally unable to employ any others to help lighten the load for me and to help improve on my tool and provide better value to paying customers.

I have had to endure listening to people telling me that piracy is a good thing and that it will work as advertising and that it will be great for feedback to improve my tool but the absolute undeniable truth is that piracy of my tool has set back my plans for my business by 6+months already with no sign of any turn around, it has cost at least 3 jobs in my local area, has cost paying customers numerous feature updates and timely support. I cannot afford to employ anyone right now and doubt I ever will with that particular application so do not try to tell me that piracy is not a bad thing.

I know I am not the only one that has had their company absolutely destroyed by piracy as I have chatted with many in my industry that provide software solutions and they have all said the same thing that things were going really well and then as soon as their soft gets popular it is cracked and spread en masse and suddenly no sales yet a huge influx in support requests. This all leads to more work for the developers, less sales for this work and in the long run a lesser quality product.

You think of piracy as something that is aimed at large corporations but it really cripples many smaller companies, costs jobs and does hurt the end-user as well.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]loneDev[/nom]As my sales were approaching 20 a day I was drawing up plans to take on full-time support staff and a developer to help out with updates as I am in a very fast paced industry where changes need making very regularly.Over night I saw the daily avg drop from 18 to 2 that was a loss of around $750 a day and it was all down to piracy,[/citation]

I see a few problems with your logic. Selling a product at a average 20 a day does not mean you can expect this to be a constant thing. Sales could grow or flat line and anything in-between. You seem to be ignoring the possibility of failure and simply passing the entire blame on one issue. I'm not saying piracy has not effected your sales any however many number of factors could have effected your sales, ever consider that you just didn't advertise enough or at the right places?

Your claim of 18 down to 2 sales and insisting it is due to piracy is simply impossible. That is a 88.89% piracy rate. Even a hugely popular product which would get vastly more attention by pirates do not match your piracy claim rate. Take the most pirated game in 2011 being Crysis 2, which when compared to sales lands around 50%.

Perhaps the real problem is you are unwilling to admit failure. Capitalism comes with the chance of failure. To shift the blame and make unreal statistics isn't going to do you any favors and will not make you learn from your errors which would make you more likely to be successful next time. I know my words may sound harsh but I fully mean this in a constructive criticism way.

Lastly, I would like to note I am not taking a pro-piracy stance here.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What bothers me, isn't the fact that the ISPs are checking whether or not I use bit-torrent - nevermind what they choose to do with that (nonexistent) information. It's the fact that they are implementing the ability to examine whatever they choose from my online activities. They can now learn anything they want - from where I bank, to what I like on my pizza. Previously, this capability was something that they didn't have the economic impetus (or perhaps creativeness) to deploy.

Next step: "Hey, we see that you're banking with XXX. We at Y can offer you a better blah-blah but you must act now!" And then after that, they'll find a way to evolve from marketing to monetization.

Ooo, I can't wait.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I can't wait to get my first warning letter after updating a couple of games using their built in P2P patch systems. My ISP will get an ear full.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Be funny if all the big-time pirates returned the booty, demanding Hollywood stop churning out politically-correct and altogether forgetful crap.

nikorr

Distinguished
when you copy somethign you are not stealing anything thus you are not a theif....

When u copy something that is free, its not stealing. When u copy something with price tag on it, its stealing.

when you steal something you deprive someone of their property....simply copying something is not depriving anyone of their property....

Wrong again. When u steal something from me by copying, u are depriving me of my profits.

lets see i could steal my neighbors front porch, and put it in my house...or i can simply copy it and we both have one....

Apples and bananas. Compare comparable.

or the little boy sees my bike and wants it...should he steal it, thus depriving me of my property, or if he could some how impossibly make a copy of the bike meaning both of us now have one makes the world a better place....

Apples and bananas. Compare comparable.

If u download a latest movie, a digital copy, u have deprived the studios the profit.

And if u claim that u would not go to theater to watch it anyway, that is fine.

But to say ,there is no damage from u by watching the movie at home, its not correct also.

U didn't pay for it, so u are not eligible to see a minute of it. Its meant only for people that pay for the view. Get it?

I am a photographer, and someone "made" a copy of my Tahiti set, 86 photos.

They end up on the internet by that individual for free. I cannot sell them, they are all over the net. Get it?

It had cost me US$ 11000 and 3weeks of my time to produce the pictures and nobody will buy them now. I didn't released them.

They were destined for people that would pay for them.

Just because the law wasn't updated to this century yet, and I don't mean that SOPA is good, its terrible, but it needs to have a law too.

And u, probably a teenager with opinion, read some more before u opine some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.