Sling Media Shakeup: Executives Jump Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
As a Dish Network (EchoStar) subscriber, I'm more interested in knowing if this means that I will be able to watch my new/HD receiver from anywhere in the world (after they make and I buy said receiver).

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
As a Dish Network subscriber who does not own a Slingbox but has checked out the specs, you are supposed to be able to watch programs from your Dish Network DVR anywhere, and I think that includes HD programs. There is, however, no way to record what is transmitted. The slingbox is dependent on a proprietary software program that is the viewer. You would have to hack that to get it to allow you to record.

IMHO, this is another waste of time technology. I would rather have a stand-alone blu-ray recorder and record to disc than watch from anywhere in the world.

It would be interesting to know how well this is going. Dish's first foray into multi-media (the personal dish thingy that is no longer available) seems not to have done well.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You have that wrong wiyosaya, the included Sling Software version 2.0 and higher (free downloads) can record what is streamed as well and can pause the stream as well as control the dish set top box (in the case of a dvr tell it to pause or record as well). This has been the case for a little while now. I just moved but I was a long time subscriber of Dish Network. I also have slingboxes since the first slingbox "Classic" and love the technology. It allows you not only to watch TV on the road via internet, but it allows you to watch TV while you are on your computer in another room as well. I loved working at my computer and catching up on shows off my DVR. Not only that, it allows you to stream any video source so you can attach a DVD player or Security camera. I could watch my children at home from a simple home video camera anytime of the day. It has other possibilities than just watching TV somewhere else.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I use my Slingbox Pro almost daily on my PocketPC, on my home network, and other places on my laptop. Having the use of my media center anywhere is a luxury I would not want to be without.

I've enjoyed the quality of the sling devices and am looking forward to future improvements, but when originators of something are leaving, that's never a good sign.

To the founders, I salute you. To the future management, I pray this won't become another "Tucker".

garborg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yes you can watch your Dish anywhere through the DVR. You will be able to watch the HD programming anywhere in your house via wireless but the internet connection for "anywhere" usually won't have the required bandwidth for HD. Unless you have some special web connections. CES Best of Show for home video, HD DVR 922
So sad need to wait till Q2 2009 to get my hands on it.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10137052-100.html?tag=blogFeed

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Anything that can be streamed can be captured/recorded.

In any case, this "departure of the entrepreneurs" often means the end of any innovation as well as the focus shifts to finding ways to monetize the existing capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.