Joseph Bradley

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I have a problem with my internet connection that suddenly happened about two weeks ago. At my girlfriends house i'm getting download speeds of around 0.50 Mbps; however about two weeks ago a speed test showed that i was getting 7.2 Mbps. it seemed to happen suddenly overnight. at my house my wireless speeds don't seem to have changed. my girlfriends laptop gets 20Mbps. so i'm really confused why my download speed is so low, and so much lower than it used to be. i've visited a number of forums about similar problems and tried just about every solution i could find except getting a new adapter (that's my last resort).

extra info: The internet works fine using an Ethernet. 100Mbps
speedtest done using speedtest.net
my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite l855 s5220 running windows 8. i had 8.1 but refreshed my laptop to try to fix the problem
i've uninstalled and reinstalled wifi drivier
i'm a bit of a noob at this but again i've tried a lot of things that haven't worked. still i'm open to any idea.

Joseph Bradley

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not on a guest account. And i've considered the possibility that it is malware but my antivirus (AVG) didn't see it. also i hadn't downloaded anything in quite some time.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

i wouldn't trust AVG perform a scan with norton or 360 total security...see how much more stuff it will detect

Joseph Bradley

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

i actually did find some things using avg and got rid of them, but i've noticed something that suggest that it is a hardware problem. when within 15-20 feet of the router the connection is as it should be, but beyond that is when it gets really low. no other devices seem to have this problem so i assumed it was not a problem with the router. if i need to replace my network adapter, what kind should i buy and what is the price range?