Slow HDD = In game stuttering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSeanLouel

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Is it possible that a slow (5400rpm) laptop HDD can cause god awful stuttering while gaming? Cause I've been blaming my hdd (it came in along with the laptop. I didn't know it was a 5400rpm hdd only). Whenever I play games like Dishonored 2, Watch dogs 2, PUBG even Overwatch I get random fps drop to even 1-2 fps (It feels like the HDD is having a hard time reading for textures) In PUBG whenever I get this stutter it just goes 1-2 fps for like 3-5 seconds and then when its done I just teleport in game wherever I was walking to. I tested something, in Watch dogs 2 whenever I'm driving fast it just stutters then some textures starts loading while everything else is not moving and when its done loading textures it returns to normal. I tried moving watch dogs 2 to an even OLDER hdd (I don't have any 7200rpm hdd here so I can only test it on an older) guess what, it just got worse. Haven't tested it out on other games cause the copying time is too long so I already assume I'll just get the same results. In other games however this doesn't happen (Farcry 4, Crysis 3, AC Unity Syndicate)

Here are my specs:
I5-7300HQ
GTX 1050 (4gb)
8GB DDR4
1 TB (5400rpm this Removed)
Laptop is ACER VX 15

HDD model: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100

Im planning to get a 7200rpm one (can't afford an SSD just a college student here) But I'd like to know first if buying a new one will fix this or maybe there's another culprit.

Thanks for reading and for whoever comments! Thanks in advance!

*Watch the language*

Solution
I don't think that's a HDD issue, unless the HDD is failing.
When you open a game is loaded into your RAM and you have enough RAM to load the games.
A faster disc will give better performance when booting and opening apps.
Is either your RAM, your graphic card drivers, or your system overheating a throttling.
If you are planning updating the HDD get a SSD, don't go back to another HDD.

jojesa

Distinguished
I don't think that's a HDD issue, unless the HDD is failing.
When you open a game is loaded into your RAM and you have enough RAM to load the games.
A faster disc will give better performance when booting and opening apps.
Is either your RAM, your graphic card drivers, or your system overheating a throttling.
If you are planning updating the HDD get a SSD, don't go back to another HDD.

Solution

prince_xaine

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
I think it's likely to be a bottleneck produced by your CPU or GPU. Based on your specs I think it's more likely to be the GPU that is bottlenecking. Try lowering the graphics a little, a.k.a shadows.

Jul 4, 2018
Very likely your HDD. I also have a 5400RPM drive and experienced the same stutters in Far Cry 5. Moved the game to an SSD and now it's all gone. Graphical settings did not make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.