slow performance, stuttering

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
i am running a dell 5759 i5 6200u, 12gb ddr3, hd 520, 250gb ssd. i use this laptop for work mostly with Microsoft edge and IE due to compatibility issues. IE i only use for flashing modules at work but it will freeze up and lock when going to websites such as directechs.com and idatalink.com doubly so when trying to pull up long lists of things. i want to make this computer snappy and instant with all things.

secondly under edge when loading youtube it will take upwards of 6 seconds to bring up the page and some times more than 20 seconds to start playing. often time i need to refresh the page once it loads the extra videos on the right side (the page first opens with just the main video and all the rest white/blank). i also run into issues where multi tasking will lock up programs or bring the system to a crawl. i also have a delay when clicking on things like youtube videos, its not instant but rather takes 2 or so seconds to register i clicked the video to pause it.

what things can i do to make this computer run the way i want it to? ive been out of the tech area for quite a while now but I'm fine with building some ram drives for temp files or ram for HDD cache if that will help, i just feel like i am missing some kind of optimization for Microsoft edge and or the system as a whole.

i use this computer for video games at home some times due to this i have lapped the CPU and heatink and clocked it up about 13%, i am able to run deues ex human revolution, eve online, crisis 2, and such maxed out with out any issue at all and i can even run eve and world of warships at the same time with no lag and decent fps so its not a pure grunt issue, its an issue with the browsers.

please some one give me an idea where to go here or I'm going to throw this computer into a wall at work, i can not tolerate lag!

in addition if i click out of IE to do something else and come back to the page it can take up to 25 seconds before the page will respond again. this is the page i am referring to: http://www.idatalink.com/rs (go to vehicle coverage chart). i click out of this to browse my downloads folder and back in and it takes about 17-27 seconds to respond to scrolling up and down. i just moved my IE temp files to a ram drive and there was negligible improvement with this. i also checked - the cpu is not changing c-states, clock and multiplier remain unchanged.

The three main culprits I've seen for slow browser response are:

• ■An antivirus program which purports to protect you from malicious websites. Usually this is done by intercepting all web requests, sending them to the antivirus vendor's server, checking against a list of known bad sites, and giving your computer the go-ahead if the site is not flagged. (And the antivirus vendor also gets to collect data on which websites you like to browse, which they can sell to marketers.) The more invasive versions will also transmit any scripts on the site back to their servers for analysis, before allowing the site to load.
    ■Malicious programs or sites which have silently installed a malicious extension in your browser. Some of these track what you do and send the data back to the author's servers (so they can sell the marketing info). Others intercept ads and ad scripts, and replace them with their own to help the author make advertising money.
    ■A malicious program or site has changed your browser's or Windows proxy, to send all your Internet traffic through one of their servers. This allows them to defeat SSL encryption by acting as a man-in-the-middle, so they're able to read your banking login and password. It tends to slow down the browser because their proxy server is usually overloaded or located in some third world country with slow Internet speeds.
So check your anti-virus or Internet security software for this sort of "safe browsing" functionality, and disable it. If that doesn't take care of the problem, check to see what extensions and add-ons are installed in your browser. Remove any you don't recognize or don't think you need. Check your browser and Windows proxy settings to make sure there's no hanky panky going on. You should probably install and run Malwarebytes just to be on the safe side. If this weren't Edge/IE, I'd say try uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. But of course Microsoft made it so you can't do that.

Edit: Incidentally, your idatalink site uses Flash, which has been deprecated by most browsers. I suppose it's also possible the installation of Flash on your computer has been corrupted by malware , and is slow because it's doing things it shouldn't be doing.

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
i have gone through and disabled all the built in settings to monitor phishing and such on edge/ie, i found that turning on high contrast mode allowed the browser to load considerably faster so i changed the visuals in windows to a more basic setting. this seems to have helped a bit.

next i created a ram drive and moved IE temp files onto it, i could not find anywhere to change edges temp files so i had to hunt down the directories they use and i "think?" i found it. under the user/packages/ edge /ac/ edge /cache area. i created a symbolic link junction between this folder and my ram drive. this considerably boosted the speed at which pages load all the graphics. I'm trying to make a 2nd ram drive and build a 256 or 512mb cache for my HDD to further speed up the process, i tried using programs such as the catzip but found a net performance decrease with this so i need to try and use supercache 6 BUT when i installed this last night it BSOD'd my comp and i had to manually edit my registry hive file under recovery to get the thing to boot again.

I'm on average 3 seconds faster loading a heavy webpage but i still have the issue of pages hanging when going through "tables" of information.

back in the day there was a way to increase how many simultaneous connection a browser would use (this was tweakui days) but i feel like that may be an issue now, where its just not able to pull in the page fast enough for some reason?
at work we have 1.5Mb internet but at home i have 150\75Mb so it should not be an issue at home and it is...