Question Slow speeds for download normal speeds for upload.

Sep 8, 2019
My Windows 10 laptop has been acting strange recently. Out of no where, my download speeds have plummeted, However my upload speeds have stayed at a normal level. I have tested my speeds on other devices such as my Samsung cellphone, My friend's computer and cellphone. It appears to only happen on MY laptop and no other. My speeds usually come out as: 9.52 download and 35.1 upload. This issue has been around for only a couple of weeks now and I've tested my WiFi on other plans with the same results. I have tried to see if it was my battery performance levels and it wasn't. My laptop is plugged in when I am using it and not plugged in when I'm not.

Reactions: shreyamathur651
NOTE: If none of the following increase the speed, then I would look into what on the device may well be dragging it down. Something perhaps is running in the background that you didn't know was there or the laptop is not giving you a correct speed reading. Be sure you are testing through a site that will give a better reading. I prefer... https://testmy.net/

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
  7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
  8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  9. Now click "Manage known networks".
  10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
  11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
  12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
  13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".
Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

Sep 8, 2019
I tried it and it didn't seem to connect, When I go to my WiFi quick settings, I put in my password, and then it shows 2 versions of my WiFi. One that I added in the beginning and another after I enter my WiFi password. I tried to skip adding the WiFi first then tried it on the WiFi control tab. I did a speed test and nothing changed.

Some systems show it under that and some don't. Why, can't say.

I am a tad confused though. Did you remove your WiFi info completely, then reboot (completely power off and back on) the computer and then try adding it again?

Also, did you try connecting via Ethernet?

If you have tested the download speed through a good source and are constantly getting problems with the speed I would contact your carrier/service provider to make sure it isn't them and to make sure it isn't the modem/router.

The only options left after that are to try Ethernet (which would require a cable purchased or borrowed to test it), try using an external WiFi (bought or borrowed, connected via USB port) or take the laptop to be looked at by a tech.

Dec 15, 2019
Hi, maybe I am late, but I had the same problem recently. My wifi download speed in my laptop only was very slow (1 – 2 mbps) , the upload was normal (>50 mbps).

In my case the problem was a Bluetooth interference, when I turned the Bluetooth off on my laptop the problem was solved.

Before that I set a static IP, I actualized the wifi drivers, I restored the network adapter, I reboot the device. But I'm not sure if any of these affected the wifi issue because nothing changed until I turn off the Bluetooth.

Reactions: shreyamathur651