Small BIOS problem

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I have a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop and this is my problem: the battery is dead for a while now, but every once in a while (I tend to think it's everytime the laptop stays disconnected from the AC power for more than 10 hours), the BIOS resets itself :( I've already replaced the small CMOS battery and still nothing :( when I said the battery is dead, I meant the big one, not the CMOS ... what might cause this ? It's frustrating to have to setup the BIOS daily :(

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
did you test the wires that connect the SMALL BIOS BATTERY to the motherboard? they could be cut or circuit is cut therefore the battery cant give full
voltage.

how did you know the bios reset itself?
1) date in bios changes to a very old year
2) pop up message says press f1 to continue
3) the screen displayed a big fat man running naked

people dont answer dificult questions here, you need to make the question simpler or ask (how do I type the @ sign?) then millions will answer you

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
lol thanks for the tip as to what people answer here :kaola: anyway, the BIOS resets itself meaning it resets to the default values, but the date stays intact. No F1 message and definitely no nude :??: and one more thing, this laptop seems to have the battery socket "embedded" like the regular desktop motherboards do, not being connected through 2 black and red hanging wires as usual ...

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
if the date stays the same then its not resetting itself because the bios battery, the bios itself is doing this
what exactly is it resetting?

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
well, being a laptop BIOS it's fairly simple, it just has a few options ... basically all options apart from the date change (the video memory share in MB, the Enabling of USB devices, enabling the Fan Control and the Boot drives' priorities) there are other options which I guess get reset aswell but I wouldn't know because I leave them to their default value anyway :) please don't tell me just to ignore the problem because there are few options, cause it doesn't matter, something is going on and I wanna know what :)