Question smart dimmer switches

Aug 28, 2022
Does anyone know how to use a smart dimmer module in conjunction with a dumb switch. I want to keep the look of the switches in the house while making one dimmer smart. I had thought that it would be a matter of simple wiring in a module in the right place, but having spent most of the day researching it, I'm not sure now. It looks like they won't work with rotary controls, and I can't find anything else in the same style as the current switches. I would have thought this was a pretty basic project, but it seems impossible to do. To clarify, I want to be able to have a smart LED dimmer that can also be operated at the switch, but the switch is a traditional dumb one.

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
Have you considered dimmable smart bulbs ,the original dumb switch is left powered on ,and you control the brightness.on/off with your voice via Alexa/Google .it is probably cheaper as you dont have to buy and fit smart switches .Hope this helps

Aug 28, 2022
Thanks for your thoughts. I am looking at 8, good-quality, dimmable LED lamps operated by a single switch, so it is much cheaper to change the switch, but I am beginning to see the attraction in that! My main problem at the moment is actually making sure I understand what the options are. Changing all the bulbs is one option, but I don't want to do that. Can I combine a dimmer module with a rotary dimmer? If not, what type of dimmer switch would work with the module or does it have to be a simple on-off switch? Or do I have to get a non-matching smart dimmer switch in order to retain operation at the switch?