Question smart lock recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2021
Moved into a new home and have a nice front door with the following lock... what's the best option to replace with smart lock without actually ruining the look of the door? how do I attach pictures here?

thank you for your help

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
Moved into a new home and have a nice front door with the following lock... what's the best option to replace with smart lock without actually ruining the look of the door? how do I attach pictures here?

thank you for your help

You pick the look, but <tip> if it ain't 5ghz and its 2.4ghz. Easy, peasy to bypass. Just saying 😎

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
How, specifically, is one easier to bypass than the other?

Everyone knows 2.4 is easy to exploit. Check to see if the lock has a specific additional radio frequency listed (usually in the 900 mhz range) 2.4 I can jam when u think it worked. 900 mhz, usually 915 mhz is used in addition for secondary confirmation of connectivity.
Any whew, for Joe Customer, fyi, the locks with digikey although higher priced, are ok. Locks that connect with "Ring", hehehe doorbells,cameras, etc will offer automated unlock functions as well as proximity unlock ( phone gets close and auto unlocks so no app on the phone timeburn) Google nest will not unlock like this. This seems to be an important convenience to me. They just dont "mention" it, THEN you figure it doesn't.
The latest Schlage fullset lock is o.k. More like slapped the smarts on existing.locks. But gives most features folks want.
Most all residential locks will be 2.4, just insure you dont skip security setup on the app. Many people will "get back to it" and never do.

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
Definitive documentation ...hmm
You set up the lock to auto lock when you and your phone leave home. 2.4 is jammed from mr. Badguy. When you leave it doesnt receive the lock command ( its jammed). Once jam is stopped the router sees the lock again and vice versa. Its in the same state as before jammed. You think its locked.. Its not. The router and lock app sees this as business as usual. Sometimes ur wifi or internet has hiccups or something. Then when net back on ( surely youve seen "connected but internet not available" before, its common. Remember the lock is more for physical security, the wifi function is more for convienence. 2.4 can be jammed with a readily available chip for approx: $5 . You can find the frequency anything runs with this link..tells ya if its got alternate frequencies,etc.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You've laid out the ways a 2.4GHz signal can be jammed.
You've not laid out why this would not also apply to a 5GHz signal.

However, you have brought up a good reason to avoid such constructions altogether.
The state of your door lock should not depend on the state of your router or phone.

My smart lock is internally smart. 30 seconds after being unlocked, it locks itself.
No matter how it was opened....poof, it automagically does its own thing.
I don't have to worry about where the phone is in relation to the door, to determine its locked status.

Its default state is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.