Smartphone Security: iOS vs. Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ooof. No device-level data encryption on Android?!? WTF, Google?!? Glad I didn't switch to Android. It might be good for kids playing Angry Birds, but forget about it in a business- or otherwise sensitive environment.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
More choice=better security. Plenty of apps for Android to choose from, not to mention that rooting your device actually allows for increased security, as opposed to iOS.
So, even if there are more apps available for securing your Android, not to mention that you have completely forgotten to mention the data/apps backup applications available, the conclusion is still that Android is less secure than iOS.
talk about unbiased conclusions...
Review FAIL.
Reviewer's credibility - gone.

G

Angry birds? Nothing more important in your lfe? Sad! :-(

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]AGPC[/nom]Blackberry has the best Security and thats a fact![/citation]

We're going to have similar coverage for BB OS and other smartphone platforms in the near future, so stay tuned!

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]More choice=better security. Plenty of apps for Android to choose from, not to mention that rooting your device actually allows for increased security, as opposed to iOS.So, even if there are more apps available for securing your Android, not to mention that you have completely forgotten to mention the data/apps backup applications available, the conclusion is still that Android is less secure than iOS.talk about unbiased conclusions...Review FAIL. Reviewer's credibility - gone.[/citation]

Jailbreaking an Iphone will allow you to install a firewall, fake your location, and install various security apps.
Did you need a tissue for all that crap? its all over your face bro

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]speedemon[/nom]Jailbreaking an Iphone will allow you to install a firewall, fake your location, and install various security apps.Did you need a tissue for all that crap? its all over your face bro[/citation]
The article mentioned that jailbreaking, as well as rooting, are not "recommended practices". The lack of even mentioning the backup apps available for Android makes the review a FAIL, just to begin with. I could add a whole lot of other rational arguments to prove that, but from your childish reply I gather that would be a waste of my time.
Keeping it civilized is always a form of reflecting one's degree of maturity... and yours showed up. "Loose lips sink ships", and your ship just hit rock bottom.

cyclone44

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I only have one major problem with this review.. stating that open means less secure has no merit whatsoever. In reality, it's the closed OS that is at the disadvantage. Open development means peer review, lots of eyes on the code, so zero chance of intentional back doors and much quicker resolution of serious vulnerabilities. I am no fan of the Android development model either, but to throw a blanket over open source and claiming it is less secure is ridiculous. Look up Pwn2Own sometime.. those Black Hat guys LOVE cracking Apple machines, including the iPhone.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]AGPC[/nom]Oh no. FLAME WAR[/citation]
no war. not worth it. I made my point clear and I'm done with it.
For other arguments see cyclone44's comment. He's got a point, as well.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]More choice=better security. Plenty of apps for Android to choose from, not to mention that rooting your device actually allows for increased security, as opposed to iOS.So, even if there are more apps available for securing your Android, not to mention that you have completely forgotten to mention the data/apps backup applications available, the conclusion is still that Android is less secure than iOS.talk about unbiased conclusions...Review FAIL. Reviewer's credibility - gone.[/citation]

Dude, since when have you seen a single review on this site biased towards Apples favor. lol. More App and more choice availability does not mean more secure. It has nothing to do with security.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]We;re going to have similar coverage for BB OS and other smartphone platforms in the near future, so stay tuned![/citation]

Sincerely hope you will be covering WP7

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
the problem is, with mass-adoption (which smart phones are moving towards very quickly....) comes mass-usage... and the average mass user will not download much additional content that will alter the OS's behaviour, yeah they will download games and stuff, but the average mass market user will accept the phones functionality as it ships and therefore these reviews have to look at the OS "out of the box"..

yeah sure, the hard core user will be willing to look up the best apps to achieve the tasks they wish to perform and download them, but the mass market average user will not.... they will just download media consumption apps and games... so whatever platform you decide on, it MUST be as secure as possible OUT OF THE BOX!!!! period....

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Your 100% correct as my D1 has multiple images of the entire sd card + os. I can go back in time or pull a specific file from an old image. It's all encrypted too!

G

Android phones 2.2 and higher can download a program called Task Identifier which will help you see into what your phone is doing. I love this app. Smartphones can be scary! taskidentifier.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.