Smartphone Security: iOS vs. Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erhardm

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
[citation][nom]mofnet[/nom]the problem is, with mass-adoption (which smart phones are moving towards very quickly....) comes mass-usage... and the average mass user will not download much additional content that will alter the OS's behaviour, yeah they will download games and stuff, but the average mass market user will accept the phones functionality as it ships and therefore these reviews have to look at the OS "out of the box"..yeah sure, the hard core user will be willing to look up the best apps to achieve the tasks they wish to perform and download them, but the mass market average user will not.... they will just download media consumption apps and games... so whatever platform you decide on, it MUST be as secure as possible OUT OF THE BOX!!!! period....[/citation]
+1

G

I love Android users they try and justify being cheap and wanting a cheap iPhone alternative. Fact is Android has more malware problems than iOS. Hell even a jailbroken iOS device is more secure than an unrooted Android phone. Also it's harder to root and more dangerous to root an Android phone than jailbreak an iOS device. Jailbreaking an iOS device is fun, rooting an Android phone is scary. Because if you jailbreak wrong, you can usually use iTunes to restore your iDevice. You can't restore a bad rooted Android phone.

Also not only is Android less secure, and more dangerous to root/jailbreak, it also is more fragmented has more pre-installed crapware, and even gets less security updates. Android is like Windows of phones but without all the hotfixes. Not to mention Android apps are not as good as iDevice apps. Their not as polished, their more buggy and far less stable. Plus any feature Android has that iDevice doesn't you can jailbreak your iDevice and get that feature including Flash.

Only things Android truly has an advantage over iOS is the fact some have slide-out keyboards and some have 4G. But really the second isn't a true advantage seeing as they say a 4G Android phone's battery doesn't last more than 3 hours.

I have both an Android phone and an iOS device and I can tell you from personal experience Android is cheap a cheap alternative to iPhone and it feels cheap. Never had my iDevice crash like my Android phone which is a year newer than my iDevice.

Status
Not open for further replies.