Smartphone Users Less Aware of Lack of Privacy in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

zozzlhandler

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I suspect that this is not so much a smartphone users problem, but rather the annoying people who talk on the phone in public are early adopters of smartphones.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]zozzlhandler[/nom]I suspect that this is not so much a smartphone users problem, but rather the annoying people who talk on the phone in public are early adopters of smartphones.[/citation]
An appearance over substance type of thing...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zozzlhandler[/nom]I suspect that this is not so much a smartphone users problem, but rather the annoying people who talk on the phone in public are early adopters of smartphones.[/citation]
Indeed my thoughts. That kind of problem is called a "Lurking variable" when you're dealing with statistics.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I would love to know the age groups of this study, plus the percentages of each age group whether they have a "smartphone" or "dumbphone". But this study I think is all moot because inconsiderate people, will always be inconsiderate people. Twenty Five by the way.

I am still on the "dumbphone" bandwagon, and am extremely considerate about being on the phone in public. Plus, everyone doesn't need to know my phone conversation, even if it's just checking in with a friend or a work call.

Something else that comes to mind is Facebook. Some people are so used to blabbing every little thought that pops in their head online, that it would only be natural they would be the same way on their phones. I am also a person who has a FB, but am rarely on.

Just my thoughts ;)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you know i will never understand what people have such a problem with people talking in public... oh no they are on a phone, cant let that stand.

on a side note, how many conversations a week do you have that require privacy?

and on that note, when you want privacy, why do you care what total strangers may hear?

i will never understand that.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Weeell, If you want to be vocal in public, then prepare to be handled in public. I find the correlation of the "phone" use and tobacco use in public similar also. Heathens will be heathens. If the annoyances in public can keep rising, then as a whole we need to learn to take criticism as it comes. If a person explains to you what's going on as disruptive, then step back and think about it.

Most of this seems to be exercised, but selfishness is societal problem that needs work.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Raid3r[/nom]Weeell, If you want to be vocal in public, then prepare to be handled in public. I find the correlation of the "phone" use and tobacco use in public similar also. Heathens will be heathens. If the annoyances in public can keep rising, then as a whole we need to learn to take criticism as it comes. If a person explains to you what's going on as disruptive, then step back and think about it.Most of this seems to be exercised, but selfishness is societal problem that needs work.[/citation]

penn and teller (cant say the rest here) showtime show, search "Penn and Teller - Manners" and you will see the full episode on youtube, those are the kind of people i think of when people complain of others talking on a cellphone...

G

They already do this in Japan. In a lot of public places it is expected of you to have your cell phone on vibrate. Also there will be signs posted around that does not permit talking on your cell phone.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]asup[/nom]They already do this in Japan. In a lot of public places it is expected of you to have your cell phone on vibrate. Also there will be signs posted around that does not permit talking on your cell phone.[/citation]

japan has a culture where you cant stick out at all or you are an outcast.
do anything out of the norm, you are shunned.
and you have a shocking amount of people killing themselves for bad grades or not getting a job straight out of universities.

do not compare a country who is pants(cant say rest)inly scared of ever being noticed to a country where people seak out not being the same as everyone else.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]japan has a culture where you cant stick out at all or you are an outcast.do anything out of the norm, you are shunned. and you have a shocking amount of people killing themselves for bad grades or not getting a job straight out of universities. do not compare a country who is pants(cant say rest)inly scared of ever being noticed to a country where people seak out not being the same as everyone else.[/citation]

"seek" and that is bull a lot of fads around the world start in countries like Japan. Being different in a country like that (unless in business which is no different than any other country suit, tie etc) is a good thing if you want to get noticed and on the verge of stereo typing a lot of Japanese that i have met want to be noticed and to excel to a point of said recognition. Haha and it's not like there aren't sheep in America who do anything from paying hundreds of dollars on clothes to thousands of dollars on surgeries to try and fit in with the "norm".

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]deicided[/nom]"seek" and that is bull a lot of fads around the world start in countries like Japan. Being different in a country like that (unless in business which is no different than any other country suit, tie etc) is a good thing if you want to get noticed and on the verge of stereo typing a lot of Japanese that i have met want to be noticed and to excel to a point of said recognition. Haha and it's not like there aren't sheep in America who do anything from paying hundreds of dollars on clothes to thousands of dollars on surgeries to try and fit in with the "norm".[/citation]

while you raise some very valid points and alidan's depiction of japanese cuture is a bit off, it is still drastically different to our own (for better or worse is a different argument) and it is somewhat crazy to compare the two on such a low level

Status
Not open for further replies.