rattrap1337

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Before I begin:
Dell inspiron 3520
RAM: 4gb
Intel core i3-2370m CPU @ 2.40ghz (x2)
Windows 8.1

The problem: It starts up but in a weird way. It shows the dell icon when I push the power button but that's all. Forever. For days if I let it. Until I push and hold a button on the keyboard. Then it will start up. It only started doing this a day or 2 ago and I did nothing to warrant this weird behavior.
If I only push a button, it will load 10% and 10% for every key press.

How do I fix this? If at all?

EDIT: I did some searching around and it might have to do with it's POST start up thingy or something like that.... and I figured out as a side effect of this weird bug/error, I cannot access the boot menu... at all. All it does it load normally when I try to spam the button.

Solution
that is rather odd. my first shot would be to get into the bios and reset it. usually there is a setting for "restore defaults" or something like that. plus it usually has a page that reports the status of the system. could show you any error messages about a piece of hardware. may get lucky and it'll undo whatever started happening.

after that, i'm not sure where i would go. but it does sound like a bios issue since it happens before windows gets booted up. did you happen to drop the laptop or anything like that? might indicate a hardware problem with something going bad. it may be attempting to show you an error message and when you click a button it is dismissing the message you can't see. then it shows it again and repeats until...

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
that is rather odd. my first shot would be to get into the bios and reset it. usually there is a setting for "restore defaults" or something like that. plus it usually has a page that reports the status of the system. could show you any error messages about a piece of hardware. may get lucky and it'll undo whatever started happening.

after that, i'm not sure where i would go. but it does sound like a bios issue since it happens before windows gets booted up. did you happen to drop the laptop or anything like that? might indicate a hardware problem with something going bad. it may be attempting to show you an error message and when you click a button it is dismissing the message you can't see. then it shows it again and repeats until it gets booted up.

this is about the only explanation i have for what you mare seeing.

Solution