So How Much Does Iwata, Miyamoto Make?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]johnh2005[/nom]Heh, I think these CEO's deserve what they are able to negotiate. I think our American super star sports players should be capped at $100,000 and whatever they can negotiate above that should be sent directly to the charities of their choosing. But that is just me and I know I will get voted down. But sorry, in a country where we HAVE to have volunteer firefighters to go and pull children from burning buildings but pay someone $20 million a year to play a sports game is absolutely ridiculous.[/citation]

Yeah I don't quite agree with this. Like someone already stated, these people pay a LOT of their income to taxes.

Also, the only reason these guys are making so much is because we as an American people give it to them. If people didn't watch all the games and buy all of the fan gear, these guys wouldn't be making the big bucks.

If their athletic abilities are something the public is willing and wanting to pay to see, then they deserve every bit of money they get. Whose to say that what they offer to the public is any less than the guys that make the 360, ps3, and wii?

In the end it all comes down to what people think is worth their money. Obviously professional athletics is worth every bit of its multi billion dollar business, because the people keep paying...

Just my two cents.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]We worked this out in the office earlier today, in the English Football League, if you take the combined salaries of all the "so called" overpaid primadonnas who supposedly do nothing other than kick a ball around, the amount they pay in taxes on their wages covers our entire National Defence budget with change left over to build a spare Olympic stadium or two.Higher wages = more tax = less company profit = more public servicesLower wages = less tax = more company profit = less public services[/citation]

that is kind of flawed. The money is going to be taxed somewhere along the line. Whether income, poperty (expansions), Equipment, etc.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Compared to the others he may well be under paid, but it's still a boat load of money.
Most times if a CEO is not being paid insane amounts the rest of the employees in a company are better paid overall.

Either way good on him for not accepting over the top payment compared to others he works with.

epsiloneri

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]We worked this out in the office earlier today, in the English Football League, if you take the combined salaries of all the "so called" overpaid primadonnas who supposedly do nothing other than kick a ball around, the amount they pay in taxes on their wages covers our entire National Defence budget with change left over to build a spare Olympic stadium or two.[/citation]

Eh... what office are you in? the annual defence budget for UK (2010) is £44 billion. See http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_defence_spending_30.html

The total wages for all players in the premier leage (the most expensive leage in the world) is almost £2 billion, considerably less: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

I doubt the pay 22 times more tax than their income.

These numberws are all dwarfed by the US defence spending (2011), of course, which is on the order of a trillion USD, or $1 000 000 000 000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
What I'd like to see is the pay of a company's leadership be hard-wired to the company's actual profit; no profit, no pay. Lose 250 million in that quarter? Well, maybe we don't actually take money out of your pocket, but mark it as a minus on the books that you have to earn back before you start getting paid again.

At least, no bonuses when the company is sinking like a rock. I know, most of you upper management types out there do care about the company and fight for it all you can anyway, but you have to admit there are a significant number that pay themselves more than they are worth because they can get away with it, and do. Bring capitalism back to the boardroom; it will do us all good.

Other than that, I don't much care whether a CEO makes $600k or $6M. Some of these CEOs take responsibility for tens of thousands of employees and everything else a business has to deal with. The key to me is the "take responsibility" part. If they don't, they shouldn't get paid.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]
Higher wages = more tax = less company profit = more public services
Lower wages = less tax = more company profit = less public services[/citation]
This statement is as dumb as it gets. Paying, taxing, taking out govermental overhead (40%-60%), then paying for services is the most inefficient possible system of funding. How could you even propose such a thing with a straight face?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
well at least this means Nintendo has more money to dump into an actual cpu/gpu setup rather than fumbling around with GameCube technology for all of eternity. I'm already poised to buy the new handheld they are going to offer. It is going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Good to know that the money is going to employees and R&D. I was surprise by how much (or how little shall I say) Sir Howard Stringer makes, considering he is the head of Sony as a whole, but It is better at the end that the money is in the company.

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]¥100 million ($770,000 USD)¥100 million ($1.13 million USD)Which one is it?[/citation]

probably using old samurai inflation rates :p

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Considering the revenue these guys bring to their companies, I'd say they are seriously underpaid. Although, these are just salaries, not including any profit sharing.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
This type of legislation led to a pay hike in the US. Once companies could easily see how much a rival offers they have to keep up to keep people on board.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Salaries aren't the whole story. Take Steve Jobs for example, his salary at Apple per year is $1. However, he also owns 5.426 million shares in Apple and 138 million shares in Disney giving him a net worth of $5.5 billion. The big boys make their money with dividends etc on their stock. Miyamoto will be no different.[/citation]

exactly. thought iwata may have a low salary base of 770 million, he is actually richer then you think. remember that money isn't only in the form of a paycheck. it also comes in the form of bonds, stocks, etc.....

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
btw, it is very shameful that other ceos are getting more money and they are destroying their own company. you have to laugh at sony and the other companies paying dead beat bosses to only destroy the company.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It's a Japanese attitude. Act in groups, accept credit as a group. That's why few major CEOs and executives earn anything ridiculous like foreigners do.

Another reason why foreign executives are feeling the heat in Japan for earning extraordinary salary for doing little.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]azgard[/nom]This type of legislation led to a pay hike in the US. Once companies could easily see how much a rival offers they have to keep up to keep people on board.[/citation]

Perhaps temporarily, but overall it keeps business competitive for its most valuable asset, its people. Transparency is almost always good. When I see that your company has people willing to work for merely half of what my people do, I realize I've been overpaying my people and I fire them. Then my company profits, shareholders profit, etc. People are less willing to work for a company where they do all the work and some higher up rakes in all the profit from it. They're more likely to go into business for themselves or apply for higher positions at other companies if they believe they can do their bosses job.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
It's pretty well known that the Japanese executives aren't quite as greedy as we are when it comes to their salaries. They believe more in the idea that the company exists for its customers, not to make asstons of money.

It's not that Iwata and Miyamoto are underpaid, it's that everyone else (the Western-world CEOs) is grossly overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.