Solved! So, I had a small water accident..

Jul 30, 2019
Hello,

when I was using my laptop today, I’ve accidentally hit a water bottle next to me, which then fell onto the keyboard of my laptop. The water bottle cap wasn’t fully on, so a little bit of water spilled onto the keyboard (the water bottle had like the basic filtered water you buy in a store, it wasn’t a soda or something like that). I’ve immidiately turned the laptop off and unplugged it from the power outlet. I also disconnected all USB cables. I have turned the laptop over and placed it on a towel. After waiting for 2 hours (which I know is not even long enough for the water to dry out) I decided to risk it and see how much damage has the water spill caused.

After checking pretty much everything on the keyboard, everything worked (even the touchpad), but two (or four) keys are typing in a combination of letters instead of just one.

Let me explain, when I press q, a combination of qw gets typed in. When I press w, the same combination of qw gets typed in. The same happens with the keys d and x (D = xd, X = xd).
These are the only two combinations of keys that are messed up, everything else works flawlessly.

After checking the keyboard, I left the laptop unplugged and I have put it on a towel once again, letting it dry at this very moment as I’m writing this question. I’m going to let it dry for at least one day, before checking it again.

My question is: Is the problem I’ve mentioned above fixable, or is it a no-no for me and I’m going to have to replace the keyboard or have to use a USB one (I have one at home, so that wouldn’t be a problem for me)

Thanks a lot for a reply!

Solution
You are right to keep it off and let it dry. It is best, if possible to actually open it up to get out as much water as possible, as even a tiny spec of liquid/moisture can cause a world of problems. That said, if you can't or don't feel comfortable doing so (many people don't) then I would leave it resting somewhere dry, as you are, but for at least twice as long as you planned (if not longer). This should allow much better drying.

As to why it is doing it, there is likely moisture where those keys connections are within the layout. Making them all seem to be hit rather than the individual ones. As long as there is no damage done from the water (like from trying to keep using it while wet) then it should resolve itself once it is...
You are right to keep it off and let it dry. It is best, if possible to actually open it up to get out as much water as possible, as even a tiny spec of liquid/moisture can cause a world of problems. That said, if you can't or don't feel comfortable doing so (many people don't) then I would leave it resting somewhere dry, as you are, but for at least twice as long as you planned (if not longer). This should allow much better drying.

As to why it is doing it, there is likely moisture where those keys connections are within the layout. Making them all seem to be hit rather than the individual ones. As long as there is no damage done from the water (like from trying to keep using it while wet) then it should resolve itself once it is fully dried up.

Solution
Jul 30, 2019

As to why it is doing it, there is likely moisture where those keys connections are within the layout. Making them all seem to be hit rather than the individual ones. As long as there is no damage done from the water (like from trying to keep using it while wet) then it should resolve itself once it is fully dried up.

Okay, thanks a lot for the answer, I’ll do my best to give it as much time as possible. I’ll update the thread in a few days with new info.

Jul 30, 2019
Okay, I just checked the laptop right now and the keyboard is working fine now, I’m gonna leave it unplugged and dry a bit longer though, just in case there is some more water inside.