So it just occured to me...

Stephanie De Leon

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
As this is mu first time assembling a pc, I have been so caught up in the idea that I completely overlooked the fact that when Im done putting all the hardware together what I will typically have is a blank slate. Could someone please help by recommending some must have/first to install applications such a antivirus and malware stuff? I know U should install adobe also but what else. The more the better. Thanks everyone!

Solution

For antivirus, I personally stay far away from the big name ones as possible. AVG, McCafee, Norton, etc.

For keeping an eye on temperature, FPS, and such I personally prefer MSI Afterburner. Its a program orginially made for overclocking, but you don't have to adjust those settings at all.
The people working on it have in the last few releases worked on a program that installs with MSI Afterburner called Riva Statistics Tuner which the two used together give a lot of really...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
A lot of programs are to the taste of the user. Obviously you know Windows lol.

You should get either Firefox or Google Chrome for web browsing, don't use Internet Explorer.

Adobe Flash player.

VLC Media Player is a fast, small, and powerful media player that can play pretty much any sort of video.

MusicBee is a really good program for listening and managing your music files, unless you have an Apple device and prefer to use Itunes.

Malwarebytes is an excellent antivirus program, with a small problem that it doesn't have real time protection in the free version. In other words, it doesn't do anything to stop viruses from getting on the computer, its just amazing at removing them. However the Pro Edition is only about $25, has a life time license that can be transferred from computer to computer and includes Real-time Protection. If you have a few extra bucks I would highly recommend it.
If not, Panda Cloud is also good.

If you play games, you should probably go ahead and install Steam, a gaming service and game store that is essential to PC gaming now.

Fox it PDF reader, a free PDF reader that is nice and easy to use.

LibreOffice a free word processor similar to Microsoft Office.

That is about all the big things I can think of.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Unfortunately Malwarebytes removed lifetime licences in the last version :(

Stephanie De Leon

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
Yeah i know windows lol ill be installing windows 8 if it matters :) thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I will definitely be gaming. Are there any good applications to keep track of heating, fps, etc. I read avg antiirus is good. Woud you recommend it?

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Really? That is very unfortunate. Its an awesome software and lasting so long it was an amazing deal, but I guess they need to get more cash flowing probably.

IInuyasha74

Honorable

For antivirus, I personally stay far away from the big name ones as possible. AVG, McCafee, Norton, etc.

For keeping an eye on temperature, FPS, and such I personally prefer MSI Afterburner. Its a program orginially made for overclocking, but you don't have to adjust those settings at all.
The people working on it have in the last few releases worked on a program that installs with MSI Afterburner called Riva Statistics Tuner which the two used together give a lot of really good monitoring options. It can watch the temp on the GPU, and each CPU core. It can watch the speed several parts of the computer are running at. It can watch how much RAM is used both in system and on teh graphics card.

Pretty much it does everything you want.

Solution