Solution for files problem

bankabilla

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
My files especially document files and images have been converted to .b8fc files.all files have been changed to some rubbish nonsense characters with .b8fc extension.Video files have not been touched but all other especially MS office files and images have been changed.I've run Spybot search and Destroy,Malwarebytes Malware,Windows defender,and though they found some adware but none of them managed to solve this problem.Can some help me to get my files back.

btw i didn't have any system restore so i couldn't get system to get restored to previous date as well.

Solution
That extension is not one I have seen before so can't guess what might be the cause. Have you tried manually changing 1 or them back to what they were ?

Going forward I would suggest the following:

a) Use a real AV program ... one that is not free (I.e Kapersky Total Security) ... they usually run about $5 - $6 per seat per year if you shop around.

b) Make routine backups - I use a BlacX with old HDs that I have taken out of every day service (after 3-4 years)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

Rotating two or more drives off site as a fir or theft would take your PC and the backups with it.

I'm running out the door for a meeting at the moment ... I will do a bit of reseach on the extension when...
That extension is not one I have seen before so can't guess what might be the cause. Have you tried manually changing 1 or them back to what they were ?

Going forward I would suggest the following:

a) Use a real AV program ... one that is not free (I.e Kapersky Total Security) ... they usually run about $5 - $6 per seat per year if you shop around.

b) Make routine backups - I use a BlacX with old HDs that I have taken out of every day service (after 3-4 years)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

Rotating two or more drives off site as a fir or theft would take your PC and the backups with it.

I'm running out the door for a meeting at the moment ... I will do a bit of reseach on the extension when I get back to see if any data available on it.

Solution
Sounds like a ransomware virus.

And FYI system restore does absolutley nothing to fix your personal files. System restore is nothing but a snapshot of the windows registry. System restore is not some magical file backup utility.

You can see if renaming the file extension to what they are supposed to be (like .docx for a word document) allows you to view it.
Odds are that your antivirus/malware scanner got rid of the infection but your files have already been encrypted.
Besides paying the people the money they asked for (which might be very difficult to find now that your antivirus got rid of the virus) there is no way to restore your files. This is why having backups is important.