[solved] Windows Update frozen bootloop, can't remove update using DISM

Monsieur Z

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
After 35 days of uptime, fearing what would happen if I rebooted my computer (I've got problems with WU in the past), I decided to give Windows Update a try and finally install those updates (can't remember which KB) it has been trying to install for 3 months. I rebooted my computer, and then it was showing "Rebooting..." and then the screen froze. So I rebooted the PC, it showed "Installing updates..." and then it froze. I rebooted it again, and then it showed "Couldn't install updates. Undoing changes..." and then it froze. Same when booting in Safe Mode. So I tried launching a repair command prompt from the PE environment, to list the installed updates using
Code:
dism /image:d:\windows /get-packages
and I got this:

Code:
Identité du package : Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~14393.953.1.2
État : Installation en attente
Type de version : Security Update
Heure d’installation : 26/03/2017 13:48

L’opération a réussi.

("Installation en attente" meaning "Installation pending")

So I ran
Code:
dism /image:d:\windows /remove-package /packagename:[longname]
:

Code:
Traitement de 1 sur 1 - Suppression du package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~14393.953.1.2
[==========================100.0%==========================]
Une erreur s’est produite - Package_for_RollupFix Erreur : 0x80070bc9

Erreur : 3017

Échec de l’opération demandée. Il est nécessaire de redémarrer le système pour restaurer les modifications apportées.

Le fichier journal DISM se trouve à l’emplacement X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Is it possible to remove that update (manually?) and like, prevent WU from trying to install it, preferrably without reinstalling Windows?

EDIT: Here is the DISM.log file (the relevant errors are near lines 2232 and 2312).

EDIT 2:
Code:
dism [...] /scanhealth
did not find any errors.

Monsieur Z

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
up vote
down vote
unaccept
I finally solved my problem!

The solution was completely unrelated to anything I've said previously!

I simply copied everything in the C:\Windows\system32\config\RegBack folder (which was created automatically before the update) to C:\Windows\system32\config, and everything worked correctly.

If I have the time, I will try to compare the two registry hives to see what changed.

Typhoon859

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Copied or moved?

Monsieur Z

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

First I copied it to check if everything was working, and since it was the case I deleted the original RegBack folder.

Typhoon859

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I see. Well alright then. I have a different problem actually but I'm trying to collect as much information as I can about things which may be related so I can see how they may connect. I appreciate the response. Thanks!