Some Advice before upgrading?

d3th5150

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
So I've really wanted an ssd for a while and after looking on amazon I found this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BQ4F9ZA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1389862658&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

So is this
1. A reliable drive?
2. The best deal for the price range?
3. Will it work with my laptop?

My laptop is an acer aspire v3 771g 6814. Here is a page with its details: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.M7QAA.004

I know I'll be able to put this drive in and use it with my original hdd. But what I don't know is how to unlock my BIOS to downgrade to windows 7 ultimate. My plan basically was to install this drive and wipe everything from the partition manager in the windows 7 install disc. Also I know there is a BIOS setting I'll have to change in order for my laptop to recognize the ssd but I don't know what it is. Any chance I could get some help so I don't screw this up for myself?

I also had these two questions that kind of were last minute. I've read a lot the writing is what shortens the life so what is the best way to keep writes to the ssd to a minimal? Also I wanted to know if I could put some if any of my games on the ssd without it incredibly shortening the life of it? Skyrim or bioshock would be the top two on my list as they wouldn't be updated much meaning less write to the drive. Thanks in advance for answers I know its a lot.

rdc85

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
1. cannot said much
2. also cannot said much

3. I'm already successful changing old 2.5" laptop hdd with corsair force3 ssd..

Most bios will detect ssd automatically and achi will installed auto with win7 when the win7 disk detect the disk is ssd...

U will be limited to sata2 speed but it will still great boost from slow spinning laptop hdd (testify by me :D)

clean install OS is the best but u will lost all apps/prog/function that came with manufacture (Acer).. this could be positive or not..
try downloading all driver and apps before start installing.. u will need them... don't start before u got all driver or it can be headache..

don't touch/modified/clean the original hdd before u sure the new system is running fine, it act as a safeguard.. if anything goes wrong u can always put it back on the laptop....

if all good to go, buy 2.5" external hdd case/extension (usb/esata/etc) so u can use your old hdd as a data drive so your ssd only for os, important apps/games.. all other go to the data drive...

for ssd tips and trick, google is your friend... to much and i'm to lazy to copy paste.. some out there has already very good info

ps: I don't think ssd will dies more quickly than hdd in normal usage..
i just had a hdd failure before 1 year (glad it still on warranty) so i don't worry much about ssd lifetime..

d3th5150

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks! But a lot of that I knew already lol. Except the SATA 2 speed cap that was very useful to know. As for a hdd extension I don't need it as my laptop already has two hdd bays. :D Oh and the third question I know seemed a bit bland but the reason I posted it was cuz I read somewhere this m500's drivers are only detectable by certain systems. Also thanks for letting me know it will change to achi.