Sony Breathes "Life" Into PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Once the market is saturated with PS3s and other, future distributed computing platforms, I think a lot of scientific data is going to come from these.

Especially cool would be a "lottery" that would reward the individual machine owner who cracked a problem with cash and prizes. It would add incentive to participate, and give people something to track.

G

Martin0642 - There isn't going to be an individual that is going to 'solve the problem'.... It is set of data that is reported back to Stanford, and they go over all the data, and go over all of that data. A 'lottery' of sorts would be something neat, different prizes drawn quarterly or yearly. Prizes for each set of PPD ranges.

I put this on both my PS3's, and it is pretty cool, since they fold 24x7 when not in use playing a game, or watching a movie on the LAN.

G

only if PS3's energy consumption can be lower. I even turn off the power switch at the back to save energy. i prefer to lower global warming than running fold@home.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Its unfortunate that they dont have Folding@home run automaticly when the system is at idle, you have to go into Life and then open up F@H and leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.